Hyzer Cup dates 2014 and beyond

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
LostMeow

Hyzer Cup dates 2014 and beyond

Post by LostMeow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

In an effort to streamline the organisation of the Hyzer Cup and fit it into the BDGA calendar, I have been looking at the possibility of laying down set dates each year, so that people can plan in advance.

One suggestion is to have the two legs always on:

1st Sunday in November
1st Sunday in February

These would hopefully be easy for everyone to remember and to plan around.

Another suggestion is to switch to just playing one leg, and always have that on the 1st Sunday in November.

Constructive thoughts please?
Tom
ND

rhatton1

Re: Hyzer Cup dates 2014 and beyond

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:31 pm

I think with the size of the teams now a 1 legged event would be easier and November makes more sense - i would push the date slightly further into mid November though, with more and more one dayers occurring it would be better to have these in the better weather than an event that will draw a crowd whatever happens.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 pm

The idea was to have the date as memorable as possible. It has tended to be around the start of November anyway, so that's why I picked '1st Sunday in November' as a starting point. I suppose '3rd Sunday in November' could be remembered, too.
Tom
ND

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 pm

2 legs are better than 1.... in that going to Croydon in a group for QP players (and vice versa for Croydon players) is a great way of getting to play another course for those players who don't play many, or any tour events.
2 legs gives more players the chance to compete as well, as if you can't make one leg, there's always the other one.

The home team always seems to get more players out, as its always going to be easier to get to your 'home' course, so the number of players available at a one leg Hyzer would probably be skewed towards the host team, resulting in local players not getting to compete, unless a 'not the hyzer' went on alongside with all the extra players playing the same formats for fun.
Plus the host team having a larger pool of players to pick from might lead to more temptation to field the 'best' team.
:)
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:21 pm

All very valid points Andrew, but I think it's worth a try for a year or so TBH - the logistical difficulties in trying to get 30 + people together all on the same day to travel 100 miles is incredibly hard work. it doesn't sound like it should be but it really is.

To then try to have that same balance of teams for a return leg is even harder.

The calendar is starting to fill up with other events now as well which restrict further the two legged nature.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!