SEMDGS 2014, a rough start

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
Phil Wood

SEMDGS 2014, a rough start

Post by Phil Wood » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Ok, so now the BDGA calendar is almost sorted, the British Open is set up, I have turn thoughts to SEMDGS!

2013 was a fantastic start to the competitive golf in the south east, 2014 is going to be bigger and better. We are planning on two new courses being added to the four from last year.

Scoring and format will remain the same. 1st:10pts - 5th:2pts, divisions will be stricter in terms of cut off, though once again players will be gently encouraged to play up.

TDs will set the exact dates nearer the time, but rough schedule is:

June: Elmstead Woods (near Bromley)
July: Brighton
August: Lea Valley (subject to grass length etc)
Sept: Croydon
Oct: Reading
Nov: Basingstoke

This schedule is not fixed, so don’t be surprised if venues move about a little.

LostMeow

Re: SEMDGS 2014, a rough start

Post by LostMeow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Is the idea of this series meant to be giving new courses a chance at tournament play? In which case should Croydon be on the schedule? Maybe keep Croydon back as back-up in case another course drops out?

Also, I'd like to see tie-breaks in the points league decided by number of events attended first up, to reward those who attend more (i.e. I would have beaten Dan this year because I attended three and he only managed two...but I'm not bitter!). What do you think?
Tom
ND

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Also, are Eastbourne and Brighton separate courses?
Tom
ND

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

LostMeow wrote:Is the idea of this series meant to be giving new courses a chance at tournament play? In which case should Croydon be on the schedule? Maybe keep Croydon back as back-up in case another course drops out?

Also, I'd like to see tie-breaks in the points league decided by number of events attended first up, to reward those who attend more (i.e. I would have beaten Dan this year because I attended three and he only managed two...but I'm not bitter!). What do you think?
The purpose of the tour is competitive golf across the south east this in part does mean helping new clubs/courses in growing their courses, but it also means playing on the best facilities we have. Hence why im keen to keep croydon on the list, this would change once we have a few more basketed courses. We have Lee Valley, though a little exploration is needed here and in the next 12 months we could potentially see Elmstead and Basingstoke with baskets, so 2015 could see croydon drop in the listings.

Tie breaks, fair enough, in 2013 splits were decided by number of wins. in 2014 we will change this to reward attendance, where attendance is equal we will compare best results. if its still level, after that, we call it draw.

Eastbourne and brighton are different, this is at stanmer again and used after a brighton promo day hopefully with lots of newbies! on a course that the council has agreed upon in principal... fingers crossed.

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeah! Looking forward to yet another crack at the SMEGS :D

Also, I know it's not imperative that they're kept separate but for those of us that are lucky enough to live in Berkshire, will you be trying to co-ordinate dates with the other series being played in the Mid & West? I appreciate free weekends are always at a premium and I fully expect some dates will overlap but it would still be good if these are played on different weekend where possible so people can also attend those competitions and experience new courses.

Thanks
Nick
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Will try to where possible Nick, but its really down to the TDs.

When you throw the BDGA events into the mix, theres not that many weekends left!

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:52 pm

I figured that would be the case and I have to say my priority will be to the UK tour and SMEGS before the Mids but would be nice to go along to a couple of theirs too if the opportunity arises :)
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:42 pm

I don't think we should drop Croydon, if newbies join in early on an then go to Croydon its a great advert for what we're trying to do at the smaller portable basketed Courses, and as we get permanent course installed we should patronize them to the best of our ability
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

My disc golf makes your disc golf look great...

bruce

Post by bruce » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 pm

robbnot wrote:as we get permanent course installed we should patronize them to the best of our ability
Croydon wrote:Ooh Reading, nice baskets. It's like my course but smaller...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm

:D :D :D :D just loled lots
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 pm

:lol: use them , then :?
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:23 am

We should take the smegs to big Jonny V on the Isle of White, he seems to be doing a bloody lot of flogging for his courses, with hardly any pay back. So let's all bundle over there for a weekend, and have the first night smegs ... Jon has held night games before, and from what I've seen on faceblob he's got a couple of nice courses...
All those in favour of a night smegs on the island say aye.! 8)
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

robbnot

Post by robbnot » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 am

Also, as far as dates go I don't think it really matters, your always going to clash with something, it's good if you can miss the open tour by a fortnight, but soon the west and the North will have their own leagues, so dates are going to clash and numbers are going to fall at individual events. Get the local newbies to the smegs with the ints and the ad ams.. Open aswell of course (but playing off the gold tees) get the local population up, we need to advertise perhaps to boost local participation in each course..
BDGA#1007
PDGA#62797

Phil Wood

Re: SEMDGS 2014

Post by Phil Wood » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:21 pm

All,

I will try and firm up some dates with the TDs in the next few days so folk can start planning.

Few more weeks and the SEMDGS will be on us!

June: Elmstead Woods (near Bromley)
July: Brighton
August: Lea Valley (subject to grass length etc)
Sept: Croydon
Oct: Reading
Nov: Basingstoke

Phil

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm

2014 SEMDGS is on!

First event is a new temporary course at elmstead woods. Full details to follow, but expect LOTS of trees.

SEMDGS#1 - Elmstead Woods - Sunday 8th June 2014

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am

A little more info on elmstead woods:

Elmstead woods is between Bromley and Chislehurst, and entirely based in Marvels and Elmstead Woods (post code for google maps: SE9 4AU)

Simon Thompson, Rich Wood and myself have spent several weekend wandering round and look at possible options in this densely wooded terrain. Dont expect too many 100M+ holes but do expect a lot of threaded pathways and a lot of trees. There are some fantastic wood carvings thoughout Marvels wood as well as a mural that we are sure you will all appreciate. We have made contact with the Friends of Elmstead Woods group and they are hugely in favour of a course being put in, in turn they have got approval from the local councilor for us to proceed too. This competition will hopefully be the start of that process.

We will get a confirmed 9 hole route and map before the June, other things to focus on at the moment.

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 am

Phil Wood wrote:A little more info on elmstead woods:

Elmstead woods is between Bromley and Chislehurst, and entirely based in Marvels and Elmstead Woods (post code for google maps: SE9 4AU)

Simon Thompson, Rich Wood and myself have spent several weekend wandering round and look at possible options in this densely wooded terrain. Dont expect too many 100M+ holes but do expect a lot of threaded pathways and a lot of trees. There are some fantastic wood carvings thoughout Marvels wood as well as a mural that we are sure you will all appreciate. We have made contact with the Friends of Elmstead Woods group and they are hughely in favour of a course being put in, in turn they have got approval from the local councilor for us to proceed too. This competition will hopefully be the start of that process.

We will get a confirmed 9 hole route and map before the June, other things to focus on at the moment.
Nice work, Phil et al. Hope I can come to the event.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Sat May 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Off next weekend to finalise the course and check out local facilities. Will share the pics/maps as soon as we can. All I can say is expect a lot of trees!

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Sat May 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Oh and SEMDGS acepot is £80, there will defiantly be ace-able hole at elmstead

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 pm

signed up to play so far is:

Phil Wood
Morne Cloete
Neal Clifton
Simon Thompson
Robb Hamilton
Lisa Gregory
Nick Blakehill
Liam Fisk
John Williams
Craig Pettitt
Beau Pettitt
Phil Harison
Tracey Hamilton
Fran Wilson
Richard Wood
Andrew Douse

Im going to be chasing all the CDGC regulars and hopefully get 25-30 of us out!

let me know if you plan on playing.