Showcase Event

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
neil

Showcase Event

Post by neil » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:37 pm

As some of you know the intension was to put on an ace race this year in Harrogate. The council would like a show piece and they are willing to shut down the park for it and hopefully get other groups involved in the day. The only thing they ask is to get as many players here as possible especially the top players. My concerns for the Ace Race is the cost of entry and if this would put people off. On talking it over at the weekend I realised that there are other alternatives, one been a tournament with limited discs i.e. you are only aloud to use 3 and I would tag on some other showcase events like longest put comp and/or big arm drive comp all with some sort of prise. So I am going to open this up to suggestions, I would very much appreciate your opinions on what you all would rather do and what time of year would be best. If there are any other ideas, I would love to hear them also. so get your thinking caps on. Cheers.

Paul Holden

Re: Showcase Event

Post by Paul Holden » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Come on people chip in...

To be clear the idea is to put on an event at the Valley Gardens 9 hole course in Harrogate which will allow people to see what the game is all about. The course has a number of short but interesting holes, similar in length to the QP short course but with good challenges for left and right turns, tight straight lines and low under the trees. I would say a good challenge would be to play the course with one disc for open, two for Ad am and 3 for Int am but it might be better to allow a larger selection of discs if it would mean you could show off more skills. My understanding is that the council would be willing to allow exclusive use of the part of the park containing the course which would be great as one of the big problems is that the park is a bit too popular in good weather so that it is hard to play when there are the most people around to see the sport.

Harrogate is a nice place to visit too!

Please let Neil know if you would be up for playing a one day event, when would be your preferred time of year and if you have any prefernce as to format. Neil has done as much as he can with his small group to maintain interest in the sport in Yorkshire and we really need an event of some type to inject a bit of interest. The council won't get involved unless we have some "top" UK players along so unfortunately we can't just start small with a competition between the locals.

This is a really good opportunity to raise awareness in an area of the country which I think has great potential. With a few more regulars we would have a group where we could start to look at growing the sport and maybe getting in a longer course in Harrogate or more likely Leeds.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 am

Do you have any dates in mind? We've got to plan some trips up North to see my inlaws and if we can coincide with this event then I'd love to help out.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:54 am

PS - my brother/sister in law and nephew/neice also live in H'Gate: i'd hammer them to publicise this event, too.
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 am

There is no date yet. Originally the idea was to hold an Ace Race which would fix it to the autumn but I'm suggesting an event in the summer when there should be a gap in the calendar, probably better weather, more spectators and an opportunity for the teachers amongst us to get involved. Part of the point of starting this thread was to find out what would work for people.

We dont really want specific dates at this point, although it would be good to know any we need to avoid. Think July through September.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

gommog

Post by gommog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 am

Well count me in, i was going to say using more disks may show off the sport a bit better but if you're having some long drive competition also then that might suffice. Just let me know when it is and i'll see you there with a car full.
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 am

neil wrote:As some of you know the intension was to put on an ace race this year in Harrogate. The council would like a show piece and they are willing to shut down the park for it and hopefully get other groups involved in the day. The only thing they ask is to get as many players here as possible especially the top players. My concerns for the Ace Race is the cost of entry and if this would put people off. On talking it over at the weekend I realised that there are other alternatives, one been a tournament with limited discs i.e. you are only aloud to use 3 and I would tag on some other showcase events like longest put comp and/or big arm drive comp all with some sort of prise. So I am going to open this up to suggestions, I would very much appreciate your opinions on what you all would rather do and what time of year would be best. If there are any other ideas, I would love to hear them also. so get your thinking caps on. Cheers.

you can always have a hole in one contest ie not an official discraft "ace race" there tweaking the format slightly - something i think is worthwhile anyhow!

1. 3 or 5 throws per tee per player increase the chances of aces - repetition! also players throw more discs - i find ace races boring 1 throw 5 min walk, 1 throw etc....
2. use the discs you want to throw for that shot instead of some crap discraft have said you should throw! (eg hornet - good disc for hyzers but certainly not ideal for straight line ace runs!)

Some form of tournament is useful for getting buy in from visiting players but maybe not ideal for engaging participation from locals/public why just watch when you can play!

"pro"/newbie doubles?
skills workshop?
family / team contest?

think about the people you are trying to reach and promote dg too then design the event around them. Experienced players can then hopefully be roped in to help with what you come up with rather than making something to attract players which passers by may, or more likely, may not take an interest in.

matt

Del

Post by Del » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I like Matt's idea of 3 ace runs at each hole.
I personally would avoid the Discraft package idea as I wouldn't want the extra disc and cost that goes with it. Having said that, there's maybe some merit in having a deal which involves new players getting a disc - it would commit them a bit more and also mean that they can go away and practice/play afterwards. I'm sure CTS or myself could supply a bunch of mid-ranges at a good price. Maybe people pay £7 and get a round plus coaching plus disc plus mini plus Innova disc selection flyer and the winning team gets a tin of Celebration chocolates. Price depends on whether the Council will charge for people to use the course - hopefully they won't for this event.
A possible format would be to have an ace run event, to give the visiting tour players a chance to show their skills and compete. Then have some clinics, divvy the newbies into 3 or 4 teams and assign touring players to each team to act as coach and then scorekeeper when they play a round, hopefully building some bond between the tourers and the newbies. Hopefully the teams might be large enough to merit having 2 groups. I suggest a small number of large teams because then people are immediately part of a larger group and if they have a shocker they don't totally sink their team. I'd focus on the team result being the main thing, then people will be more motivated to encourage their team-mates. The team result could be an aggregate of everybodies score (or average if teams have different numbers)
These are ideas off the top of my head, so may need knocking into shape.
Timing wise, obviously avoid the BDGA Tour dates. Personally I'll also have Eurotour events on 8/9 June and 31st Aug/1st Sept. It's difficult for me to totally commit to any weekend as I have a business to run, so my availability is dependant on having staff to cover at QP, but I would hope to have that in place.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Matt and Del, a few things to think about there. Please anyone else add your comments. Whatever level you play at what would interest you in an event run on a shorter course?
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

neil

Post by neil » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for your comments on this. I have two main objectives, the first is to judge interest, I know that when I go back to the council to make plans with them they want to know that people are going to come especially the top players and the second objective is to try and bring to you all the kind of golf you want. I realise that as there are no pdga ratings to be had there is little incentive to play here but if I can get the competition that you would like and still make it interesting for the public which is a priority then hopefully it should make a fun day.
I will now go back to the council and try and tie them down to some dates and assurances and then I will get back to you all to try and start making some plans. It would be very much appreciated if I could here from a few more players at all levels for even more input on what would be the best way to go about this event.
Cheers.
Neil.