Hyzer Cup 2011 - 2012 - 1st leg

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
rhatton1

Re: Hyzer Cup 2011 - 2012 - 1st leg

Post by rhatton1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:49 pm

More match reports would be great to see.

Doubles:

Charlie Mead + Adam Breeden vs Rich Wood + Fran Wilson croydon win 2 + 1
Rich Hatton + Dark Mavis vs Dan Ryan + James Burton Croydon win 4 + 2
Ivan Bromage + Jon Wood vs Terry Tenger + Louie Webber Croydon win 2+1
Meal Ticket + Andrew Douse vs Stew Gudgeon + Phil Wood Croydon win 2 + 1
Jesse Denny + Gary O'Malley vs Oz Freire + Charlie Myall Crodyon win 3 + 2
Pete Black + Jim Edwards vs Sam Stevens + Dave Ethier croydon win 3 + 2
Sue Underwood + Martin smith vs Hippy Dan + sweary Kev QP win 6 + 5 (finally won one...)
Jon Turner + JB vs Rich O + Neil Prebble Croydon win 2 + 1
Steve Martin + Jerry Andrew s Paul Holden + Evan Chomer Croydon win 2 + 1
JOn Tweed + Phil Blount (team big) vs Tom Lowes + Neil Martin QP win 3 + 2
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Singles Open (please let me know if I have got some scores wrong _ I cant read my own writing....)
Charlie Mead Vs Phil Wood QP win 4+ 2
Jesse Denny vs Terry Tenger QP win 4 + 2
Jim Edwards vs Rich Wood QP win 4 + 3
Ivan Bromage vs Dan Ryan croydon win 3 + 2
Meal Ticket vs Oz Freire Croydon win 8 + 6

Open QP 3 Croydon 2

Advanced
Dark Mavis vs Stew Gudgeon QP win 2 + 0
Pete Black vs fran Wilson QP win 4 + 3
Rich Hatton vs Neil Martin QP win 4 + 3
Paul Holden vs steve Martin QP win 5+ 3
Evan Chomer vs Hippy Dan QP win 1 +0
Jon Turner vs Neil Prebble QP win 1 + 0
Jon Tweed vs Dave Ethier QP win 2 + 0
Gary O Malley vs Sam Stevens QP win 5 + 4
Rich O vs Sue Underwood Croydon win 2 + 1
Tom Lowes vs Phil Blount Croydon win 6+5

Advanced
QP 8
Croydon 2

Intermediate
JOn Wood vs Louie webber QP win 1 + 0
Andrew Douse vs Jerry Andrew QP win 2 + 0
Martin Smith vs Sweary Kev Draw
Phil Sumner (replacing JB) vs Charlie Myall Draw
James Burton vs adam Breeden Croydon win 2 + 1
QP 3
Croydon 2

Some great results from the QP rookies - Evan, Andrew and Phil sumner, taking points home on their first Hyzer cup outing. Phil esepcially as he has only been playing 3 months and that has only been by getting up at 5 in the morning to play before work - thats dedication folks!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:53 pm

I'd do a match report, but I can't remember what happened......

what I can recall is...
in the doubles Neil and I made a good start in the woods, and were 2 up for most of the round, both having sunk long putts, neils a very long kneeling putt through the edge trees on 11. Then in the latter stages Phil and Stew woke up far too much got 4? Birdies, and we ended up 2+1. Unfortunately I had a few really disappointing drives which didn't help, but I rectified that in the singles, by making drives I haven't pulled off for a couple of months.

In the singles me and Jerry started on 9, along with Tweedy and Dave the beard. I got 1 up in the first couple of holes, and managed not to fall behind at all, being 3 up at one point before drifting back to 1up on the final hole. The memorable holes being 3, in theory a good hole for my sidearm drives, where I went ob on the drive, then again on the approach...well if you're going to ob in match play it MIght as well be twice in 1 hole!
Then 5 where I drove straight into the hedge, having just missed the gap, but got the approach shot to easy putting distance to halve the hole and keep a 2 lead into 6to7, where unfortunately after my best drive up there for a while - straight through the trees at the top toward the basket of 6, my approach wasn't up to much, and the putt hit the basket and rolled down the hill, so Jerry got one back. So our final hole was long 8. Everyone got over the river, although I was close enough to warrant a little relief from the stream! But made up for it with another good approach shot and finishing putt for the win. My distraction tactic of falling down the slope off the tee obviously put jerry off enough to seal the win...

A good day of play, I hope I can make the Croydon leg.
Last edited by andrewdouse on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346

richard

Post by richard » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Had a fantastic days golf today.

A big thanks to the 40 players that braved stupid o'clock starts and the promise of 4 hours of the bleakest of weather condtions.
As it turned out the weather gods looked kindly on us and the rain held off until 3holes from the end. One of the only benefits
of loosing 4 and 3 meant I stayed dry :roll:

Also thanks to Dan Neil Oz and Tom for providing transport.

I will let others describe the action, they have much better memories :cry:

We look forwrd to seeing everyone down at Croydon near the end of January for the 2nd leg.

We hope to have the new course in place with 2 new holes, as yet never been played.
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 am

Had a great time yesterday despite losing both matches :(

Me and Tom managed to keep close to Tweedy and Phil for most of the match unfortunately everytime we won a hole we conspired to throw it away immediately on the next! We finally capitulated after I had a 30 yard ish hyzer putt bounce off the rim of 2.

Singles was not quite as close as Rich stormed to a 6 hole lead as a combination of my foolishness in not bringing any lunch and getting up at 430am began to take it's toll. I managed to pull myself together in the woods and managed to get 3 holes back but then with 4 to play I grip locked on 13 as Rich placed his drive on the fairway and that was all she wrote!

Really enjoyed it though and got to play with a few people I'd not played with before. Looking forward to the second leg if the impending birth of my son round about then doesn't prevent it!
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 am

So started Doubles on hole 11, Dark MAvis and me vs Dan Ryan and James Burton.

I am afraid I was so dosed up on different cold and flu tablets my memory is a bit hazy but I'll give a best account of it.

Hole 11, Croydon lost toss and drove first, both drives alright but nothing spectacular, Mark drove well close to the tree line but very safe, allowed me to go to the forehand instead of the usual putter layup I do these days. My forehand got us in to the trees on the left of the gap with a sight of the basket for two. Dan had a great approach from James lie. We both had a run but could only manage metal, from 6 meters out both Dan and James missed, we took the hole with a 3.
QP 1 up

Hole 12 we drive first and take my forehand nicely up the bank with a fairly easy 8 meter across slope putt for the birdie. Croydon take Dans drive down below the big tree but a clear shot up about 15 meters to the basket. James nails it. Uh oh, pressure on, mark shoots high my putt hits the basket. Croydon win with a 2
All square

Hole 13James drive is short of the ride, Dans is big but in the rubbish. WE are locked in on Marks drive which lands in the first trees on the left. My forehand approach lands under the basket. JAmes almost nails an incredible shot through the narrowest window from about 20 meters back for a 2, hole is halved.
All square

Hole 14 Don't really remember but Croydon use JAmes drive about halfway up the fairway near the hedge, think Dan turned over OB. Mark drives OB. so we use mine on the edge of the hedge about 30 meters back. Dan approaches under the basket. Both of our appraoches are shocking. we miss the 8 meter putt and Croydon take the hole with a 3.
Croydon 1 up

Hole 15, some poor drives all round, especially Dans turned over Sidearm :lol: I drive last and park the basket. Qp win with a 2
All square.

Hole 16 We are locked in on Marks drive again and he buries it in the trees. Dan hyzer bombs onto the nipple. Croydon win with a 2
Croydon 1 up

Hole 17 Dan goes big and messes up, James is fairly safe to the left of middle. Marks drive is about 10 meters short but in the crap on the left with no real putt. We use mine which is bang in the middle of the gap. halved the hole with 3's
Croydon 1 up.

Hole 18 - Terrible hole from everyone, we use my drive which is marginally better than MArks OB effort. Both teams take a really poor 4.
Croydon 1 up

Hole 1 - James and Dan both safe in the middle. WE are locked in on Marks drive - Mark I say, play safe just put it out in the space and give us a look at an upshot, no mumbles Mark - we take our next shot from the drop zone. :evil:
Croydon 2 up.

Hole 2 - Both of our drives are good, Marks is probably more makeable a lean out 8 meter putt. Mark hits metal , I hit chains, neither drops. Hole halved with 3's
Croydon 2 up.

Hole 3 - Locked in on my drive, the forehand looks good, Dans gone OB and croydon are half way down the fairway. We should be good. Until we find the drive is slap bang behind the middle of the OB pen. Right Mark, lets both try and hyzer round, give ourselves a putt at least, even if it is a long one, "No I can make the roller" "Really are you sure" "yes" - My attempted Hyzer also goes OB. We lose the hole
Croydon 3 up

Hole 4 - James somehow makes it through the gap and halfway down the fairway. Dan's has gone OB up by the basket, just short of the fallen log. Mark just clears the hedge and mine gives us a 10 meter putt for the 2. On arriving Dans drive is the wrong side of the fence - but the fence has fallen down and there is the tiniest bit of disc crossing a parallel line between the fence posts. Generally, local QP rules would say anything the wrong side of a fence is OB whether the fence is down or no, but when Dan pulls out the PDGA rule book (hell I know the PDGA rules, you know the rules but in the spirit of the game....) We allow them to take the putt , they make the 2. Unlike the Murphy's Iam a little.. :D
Croydon 4 up

Hole 5 - MArks hole, he takes longest drive then approaches under the basket - I spectate.
Croydon 3 up.

Hole 6 - Possibly the worst forehand drive I have ever seen from Mark splashes in the water nearly 90 degrees to our left. Dan also gets wet. My drive hits a branch and lands short of the stream just behind James. They approach under the basket, both mine and Marks leave us with 8 meter putts which again we duly miss by hitting the bucket.
Croydon 4 up Dormie 4

Hole 7 - We have to win, we don't, Croydon win 4 + 3
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 am

Singles - Started on hole 17 with Neil who I had never played with before. Also playing with Jon Turner vs Neil Prebble.

Both of us drove well and approached well and left us almost the same length putt into a headwind, Neil made his first and mine just wobbled in.
All square.

Hole 18 - Finally I managed a good drive here (i've been rubbish the last few times I've played it) but it just clipped the bush and landed short, my approach was poor but I won the hole with a 3 and got the longest putt with about an 8 meter effort.
QP 1 up

Hole 1 I drove round the back of the 2 trees, my sidearm approach was poor but gave me a sight for 3, Neil overshot his 2nd approach and couldn;t make the return putt. I won with a 4.
QP 2 up

Hole 2 My drive was good, Neils was ok, we shared with 3's
QP 2 up.

Hole 3 My sidearm drive was good and should have got a 2, pressure was on Neil though and he could only manage a 4. I won with a 3.
QP 3 up

Hole 4 I drove clear for a 12 meter putt, Neil was in a horrible position by the OB fence, he could only manage a 4 I won with a 3
QP 4 up

Hole 5 My drive may have taken Dark Mavis' morning effort but unfortunately Dan Ryan had beaten it in the meatime. I won with a 4 after trying tp put my Roc in the river.
QP 5 up

Hole 6 My drive took the safe hyzer route leaving a 12 meter putt. Think Neil was short of the stream. I won with a 3.
QP 6 up

Hole 7 I thought my drive had hit the basket as did the two Neils. Turned out it hadn't it was in the woods - think my eyesight is failing. I missed a short putt and Neil took the hole with a 3.
QP 5 up

Hole 8 Neils drive was in the ride but short. I drove with a Roc to within 4 meters. Somehow I managed to miss the putt for 2.
QP 5 up

Hole 9 Neil drove first and ricocheted to the left behind the screen. I took 3 shots to get through the ride. I think I eventually took a 6 Neil won with a 4
QP 4 up

Hole 10. Neil drive well almost to eh ride and somehow managed to land right inside a roll of wire. I wouldhave loved to see him play the next shot from inside it, unfortunately he could just get a foot behind. shame. I took three shots to clear the ride again and took another 6 - i've been loving those holes recently but got properly punished. Neil won with a 5
QP 3 up

hole 11 My safe drive was rubbish my attempted approach was even worse bouncing out into the middle of the fairway - I suddenly started seeing a 6 hole lead dissappearing and Tweedy laughing in my face (team spirit for you) I decided to channel the Tweed and with a bit of rage landed my thumber under the basket (almost in the chains.) halved the hole with a 4
QP 3 up

Hole 12 My sidearm was good middle of the bank about a 10 meter putt across the slope, Neil was unlucky to have rolled to the edge of the tree line. WE halved with 3's
QP 3 up

Hole 13 as Neil described above he shanked it and never really recovered, my first was up the middle but rolled just to the treeline my approach left me 12 meters short. I could layup for the win so for once was sensible and did and won 4+ 3.

Really enjoyed the round and Neil had me properly worried going through the woods where he started playing some good pressure golf making his important shots count after I threw away the chance to wrap the game up on hole 8.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

West

Post by West » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Results are up on the site : http://hyzercup.co.uk/leg/7

QP go into the second leg with a slim 16-14 lead!

8)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Think you're missing bonues for longest drive etc. Should be 15 v 16.5
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

West

Post by West » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Paul Holden wrote:Think you're missing bonues for longest drive etc. Should be 15 v 16.5
On previous page so missed them ... will add now :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

West

Post by West » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Extras added! :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks Westy.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Do we have a date for the second leg? My calendar for Jan is filling up fast.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

andrewdouse

Post by andrewdouse » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am

Ditto.... Give us a date!
BDGA# 373 PDGA# 51346