Hyzer cup 2010-11 2nd leg - live draw

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
Phil Wood

Re: Hyzer cup 2010-11 2nd leg - live draw

Post by Phil Wood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:05 pm

rhatton1 wrote:Last out the bag - Captains Pick - no1 team

Jesse Denny + Dunc Hartshorne!

vs

Sam Stevens + Phil Wood

Top draw, me half cut from the night before and sam whose never seen qp.... It's gonna be......

Interesting! Looking forward to it.

Stew

Post by Stew » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 pm

I'd say it could be about even after doubles. Should be an exciting morning.
Give a man a driver and he can play disc golf for years.
Give Stewart a disc and he'll lose it the same day!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup champions 08/09

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Quick run through of the holes:

New extended 1, tee is marked by cones just off old 4th fairway under tree. OB only in field and course boundaries and if completely submerged by stream beyond the fence. The outside edge of the hedge is the course boundary.

2 same as always check for players on tee of new 4.

3 same as always check for players on tee of new 4

4 plays from cone by OB near basket of three, play either side of the cone, decide with the group before throwing. Tall mando post is in play, have to go left, if you miss to the right, 3rd shot is from the old tee of 4.

5 - This is old final hole 6 - 7, anything to the right of the stream is OB, if your disc is touching the inbounds bank you are in, on the dry but of stream groups discretion, if it is in the ditch it is probably in bounds. Any drive OB (even if the OB is in the field) play from the drop zone just over the bridge.

watch for players teeing off from new 6.

6 new 6 is extended old 8. Tee is up above basket of new 5, please be careful on way up the hill, very muddy and slippy. The stream and river are OB (i disc is completely surrounded by water) The fenced enclosure in the woods is NOT Ob, please take sensible relief away from the river at groups discretion.

7 - old nine the fenced off area on the corner is NOT OB, the fenced off area between the basket and tee of 14 is still OB.

8 - Old ten

9 - walk towards tee of 11 and then turn right into the woods, walking alongside the dogwood, the tee is about 30 meters in front of you. The hole is a dogleg left theough trees all the way, about 45 meters to the dogleg then 45 to the basket.

10 Walk past the love shack and there are cones on the ground for the tee. The hole is a dogleg right - about 70 meters to the dogleg and 30 meters to the basket from there. There are mandos on the trees by the 11th fairway at the mouth to the ride - you cannot play up round the back on the 11th fairway.

11 same as always - please take sensible relief from the rivers edge at groups discretion.

12 same

13 same - disc has to be clearly open in the top field to be OB - groups discretion,

14 same - disc has to be clearly over the hedge on the bottom field to be OB - groups discretion. There is a mando on the bottom right corner of the OB enclosure - near the mando on 15. You cannot play round the back to the basket over the tee of 15.

15 same

16 same

17 - not decided yet, there may be rope down

18 same as usual
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

struth who,s idea was it to host the draw here..
I have only just managed to get into the forum..
It's a bit basic here ain't it..I think we might of been better off in the more proffesional
enviroment of the Croydon Forum
so what have I missed... Hmmm looks like a couple of QP lambkins are up for the slaughter..hey but's what new
QP hedging their bets.. changed the course, rotten weather, having to drive all the way up there
at stupid O clock in the mornin.... I bet your going to roll out ' Old Boy' Robinson as your secret weapon...
worry not we are still comming to get you !!

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 am

Stew wrote:I'd say it could be about even after doubles. Should be an exciting morning.
Yep, a few tight games in there, could end up 6.5 - 4.5 in either direction at most.

And do I have to play Ivan in every Hyzer Cup leg?!? I'm pretty sure we've been drawn together in either doubles or singles in every round so far!
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 am

Jerry wrote:struth who,s idea was it to host the draw here..
It's a bit basic here ain't it..I think we might of been better off in the more proffesional
so what have I missed... Hmmm looks like a couple of QP lambkins are up for the slaughter..hey but's what new
QP hedging their bets.. changed the course, rotten weather, having to drive all the way up there
at stupid O clock in the mornin.... I bet your going to roll out ' Old Boy' Robinson as your secret weapon...
Once again, Jerry speaks and I have no idea what he's on about. Is there anyone out there that can translate?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:30 pm

rhatton1 wrote:
Jerry wrote:struth who,s idea was it to host the draw here..
Once again, Jerry speaks and I have no idea what he's on about. Is there anyone out there that can translate?
I can have a stab. Jerry doesn't like your forum, had trouble logging in, feels that a couple of matches are to be a Croydon walk over, blames you for the weather forecast, thinks It's unfair we have to drive to you and seems to think that Del is in some way a secret. further more, he has become Australian. I know, even translated it makes little or no sense.

Wait, I'm sledging my own team, isn't that what QP normally do?

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Ok,

Jim Edwards is out, so Phil Willetts will take his place and partner Pete. Shoul dbe a good partnership.

I'm all excited about tomorrow!

see you all there.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 am

The third Hyzer Cup is over and the cup has been retained by ....Quarry Park!

Beautiful day for golf and some great stuff played and some superb individual performances.

Results.

1. Charlie Mead + Adam Willetts will play Oz Friere + Louie Webber QP won 5 + 3

2. Neil Picket & Paul Holden vs Dan Eagles & Charlie Myall Croydon won 1 up

3. Jon Turner + Johnnie Burden will play Dan Ryan + Jerry Andrew QP won 4 + 2

4. Derek Robins & Adam Breeden vs Rich W & Fran Wilson Croydon won 4 + 2 (first time Del has been beaten in doubles)

5. Phil Blount + Jon Tweed vs Paul Bates + Jester Wilson Croydon won 4 + 2

6. Ivan Bromage & Gary O'Malley vs Bruce & Sweary Kev QP won 1 up

7. Phil Willetts + Pete Black vs Paul Stoddart + Jarvis Ryan Croydon won 2 + 1

8. James Luton & Duncan Butcher vs Neil Prebble & James Bates QP won 5 + 4

9. Double Impact Mark II
Rich Moonman Hatton + Dark Mavis vs Ross Poole + Hippy Dan QP won 1 up

10. Sue Underwood & Martin Smith vs Stew G & Dan Waxman QP won 3 + 1

11. Jesse Denny + Dunc Hartshorne! vs Sam Stevens + Phil Wood QP won 1 up

QP 7 - 4 up after the doubles and lead extended to 6 points. 4 out of the 11 match ups were won on the last hole about the tightest I think we have had in the doubles.

Singles.
Del vs Oz Freire QP won 3 + 2
Jesse v Bruce Croydon won 5+ 4
Charlie Mead v Phil Wood QP won 4 + 2
Neal Pickett v Ross Poole QP won 2+ 1
Sue Underwood v Dan Ryan Croydon won 3+2
James Luton v Jester Halved (first person to take half a point off Jester in the Hyzer)
Ivan v Rich Wood QP 4 + 3

First time QP have won the open division. 4.5 - 2.5

Jon Turner v Paul Stoddart QP won 3+ 1
Dunc Butcher v Fran Wilson halved
Dark Mavis v Charlie Myall QP won 7 + 6
Paul Holden v Stew Gudgeon halved
Tweedy V James Bates QP 1 up
Rich Hatton v Dan Eagle Croydon won 3 + 2
Pete Black v Neil Prebble QP won 7 + 5
Dun cHartshorne v Dan Waxman QP won 9 + 7
Qp 6 - 2

Adam Willetts v Louie Webber QP won 7 + 6
Jonnie Burden v Kev QP won 4 + 3
Phil Blount v Jerry Andrew Qp won 2 up
MArtin Smith v Sam Stevens Qp won 8 + 7
Phil willetts v Paul Bates Qp won 3 + 2
Garry O malley v Dan hawkins Qp won 2 + 1
Adam Breeden v Jarvis Ryan Qp won 2 + 1
Clean sweep for QP

Longest putt won by KEv for half a point
Longest Drive won by Charlie Mead for half a point
Ctp won by Ross Poole for half a point.

Overall scores

QP 25.5
Croydon 9.5
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

So memories of the day, I'll kick off as usual:

Started hole 14 myself and Dark Mavis playing against Ross Poole and Dan Hawkins.

We drive first Mark plays a good sidearm up the middle, allowing me to open my arms, I blast a Boss to 10 meters short. Dan just stays in bounds but short, Ross goes OB. Their approaches are about 8 meters out, we miss our birdie attempts but have an easy 3. One of Dan and Ross make it can't remember which. level

Hole 15. Mark drives safely through to the back of the fence. Mine is halfway. I have no recollection of what Dan and Ross did, think it was a good drive by Ross and hole halved, Mark laid up and I went for it just missing. Hole halved. level

Hole 16.
Mark played a good drive just to the left of the nipple but slightly behind the tree. I drove OB just. Ross drove OB and dans was behind the first tree. They both play porr approaches, Dans is the best about 15 meters out with the oak tree in front. Mark and I are thinking easy 3 to win the hole when Ross steps up and powers a putt into the chains through the smallest of gaps in the branches, great shot. We miss our birdie attempts and take the 3. Level

Hole 17 locked in on my drive I drive slightly left of the gap but should be an easy 3. Dan was right behind the OB on 16 and Ross hit one of the small trees and landed behind it 30 meters from the hole. Ross steps up and throws a straight laser into the chains. Bugger. Both MArk and I try the steep annies, both come close but no cigar. Croydon 1 up.

Hole 18 Dan Just creeps in bounds, I think Ross must have been OB as they took Dans from the edge of the fence. Mark and I both drive well, I'm about 10 meters out, Mark is about 15. They both mess up approaches. and have to putt again before we go. Neither hit the putt so we take Marks to keep open and hit an easy 3 to go level.

Hole 1 Dan drives OB first by mistake. Mark drives just into the woods, I drive jsut to the right of the two trees. Think Ross drove ok. Approaches from both sides just make the gap, all of us miss the three and share with a four. Level

Hole 2 Mark and I both drive ok, mine is just about 2 able but long, Marks is a bit further back. They take Dans which is just inbounds by the car park, good approach gives them a 3. To stay open we take Marks and share with a three. Level.

Hole 3 Mark drives backhand but hits the bushes lands about half way behind the trees. I worm burn a sidearm awfully, the first of a number of poor sidearms on the day. Ross turns one over giving them an easy three chance from round the back. WE decide to take mine to stay open. probably a mistake. Marks Anny is short, I thumber to about 6 meters away. Both of us miss, very poor, we take a four and lose Croydon 1 up.

Hole 4, no one plays a good drive here, approaches all solid, I think we take MArks even though mines closer and they take Dans. both take a 3. Croydon 1 up.

Hole 5. Dans drive was poor right up to the left and behind the OB. Ross plays an alright drive to the bank to the right of the three trees. MArk drives a beauty about 5 meters past the basket of old 6. My drive clips the first of the three trees. Dans and Ross' approach is short by about 20 meters, I approach to under the basket. They miss the approach/putt. MArk makes the putt. Level.

Hole 6. we're locked in on my drive, I throw a safe sidearm straight down the middle and about 20 meters short. MArk has an ace run which has the legs but not the line. Ross and Dan are short but approach well to halve the hole. Level.

Hole 7 Mark drives a decent cut roller, I miss the mando for the first itme in 6 months. I think they both go in the trees but can scramble out for the 3, ame for us hole halved. Level.

Hole 8. MArk hits bushes early, I drive into the woods to the left of the basket but pin high, just about a putt on but impeded by the statues. Ross drives for CTP after Dan hits the gate post. They take the 2. Croydon 1 up.

Hole 9. Ross drives a beauty on his first time playing the hole straight through. Mark goes one better. Both of their approaches went pinballing, Marks approach was a bit wild, I sidearmed to about 4 meters from the basket. We hit the 3 for the win. Level

Hole 10 don't really remember, halved with a four, think we took my drive and they took Dans. Neither group made the ride from the drive, Think Mark played an absolute beauty of a second shot which should probably have got us the three. Level

Hole 11 MArk played an amazing side arm drive to about 10 meters short of the basket. Ross and Dan are further back, but Ross approaches under the basket, we miss birdies, hole halved. Level
Hole 12 (2 to play)
Mark drives on line with the pin but 10 meters short. I am almost pin high but 12 meters to the left. Ross and Dan from Dans drive (Ross' is not good! ) are stuck behind a tree in the woods, they approach out well for an easy 3. WE decide to take mine instead of Marks to keep us open on 13, this in retrospect was probably a bad decision. Mark goes for it and rolls away, I go for it, hit the pole teeter at the top, slide of onto the steps but don;t roll, Mark misses the putt, I hit it (finally hit one) we half the hole just. Level in to the last hole.

Hole 13 Mark drives into the bushes halfway on the left, I go for the big anny and just get past the gap in the hedge, stuck in the hedge. Dan drives into the trees early and gets a massive bounce out into the fairway about 30 meteres in front of the tee, Ross drives deep into the trees. They take Dans, Ross' approach looks beuatiful but just clips one of the bushes guarding the basket and drops 15 meters short. MArk sends his approach short, I sidearm safely under the basket. They both just miss ( i thought Ross had done it again just skimming the chains) and we putt out to take the 3, a 57 for the round and a win 1 up for QP Incredibly tight game throughout and the first time we were ahead was on the last putt.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 am

Singles.

There was one player in the Croydon Ams that I really didn't fancy, especially ona course that suits a lefty, Mr Dan Eagle. Guess who I got drawn against....

always a pleasure playing with Dan though and realyl enjoyed the round yesterday dsepite the final score.

We played with Dark Mavis and Charlie Myall.

Starting on hole 15.
Dan won the toss and I drove first. My drive was just short of the Ob. Dans hit the clump of trees on the left. His approach was too long leaving a difficult long putt return. I laid up and took the three to win the hole. QP 1 up

16. I threw my usual standing drive landing just behind the oak. Dan was further back with a lefty hyzer bomb round the outside of the trees. He laid up, I had an 8 meter putt for birdie, thought about it then laid up to halve the hole with a 3. Qp 1 up

17. I threw straight up the middle, as did Dan, both took easy no nonsense 3's hole halved. QP 1 up.

18. I threw a good drive 8 meters short. Dan launched an anny that flexed out and had rope be down woul dhave been OB, It was just under the eaves of the building but enough was out to be in bounds. I bottled my birdie putt we both took 3's QP 1 up.

1. Both drove alright, both approached alright, both could have made the 3 but both took 4's. QP 1up

2. The start of the stupidity. I drove well, pin high, just behind the statue. Dan drove into the trees guarding the car park, Not a good lie, I'm thinking QP 2 up, Dan finds the smallest window out and parks it. I take the most appalling birdie attempt and end up 4 meters to the left, I then miss the par putt to lose the hole....arrrghh. Level.

3. Dan shanks one round but doesn't hit any trees and lands on the tee of four, easy 3 from there. I play what looke dlike a good siderm it just turns to much and hits the bushes landing halfway up, my approch is good within 4 meters, easy par for the half surely...no the putting yips which havn't been around for about 8 months suddenly strike again and I miss. Croydon 1 up.

4. Both play pretty rubbish drives but good approaches, easy 3's (dans making me putt out from 2 meters at this pint Wink ) Croydon 1 up.

5. Dans drive is right behind basket of 6 for a drop in birdie on the old hole, mine is good and long right over the tee of 7 with about a 70 meter approach to the basket. Dan's approach is way short, looking a bit wary of the river. I put my Firebird underneath. Dan can only make the 4, I take a 3 to win the hole. Level

6. I play standing backhand this time and hit the fence by the basket. Dan is short as he hyzers out not follwoing through properly. Both take easy threes, I probably should have taken the 2. Level

7. I plunge deep in the trees and have to roll out for a long approach for the 3 Dan takes the easy 3. I just miss for a 4. Croydon 1 up

8. Dans drive hits the bushes early mine is pin high and just in the trees to the left. Dan can only get there for a four, I could take the 2 but lay up to ensure the 3. Level.

9. Dan drives well through the gap, mine is just short, I get a second through to beyond his. Dan plays a poor approach, I play a great putter straight up the middle and 4 meters to the right of the basket, should be an easy 4. Dan gets there for a drop in four. I miss the putt again and lose the hole. Croydon 1 up.

10. Bit of talking on the tee as another group caught us up and Dan shanks one landing on the platform of the love shack. I have a picture If I can work out how to post it I will, its great. He has to open the doors to play his next shot.... I thought my sidearm drive was going to make it all the way through, then it just clipped a tree and went deep in the woods. Dan plays an alright shot and then his third takes him across the ride. I play a roller pretty much my only option and it looks good it goes up to the mouth of the ride and we ll expect it to have ended up in the mouth by the dogwood (i'm expecting to win this hole at this point.) We get up there and after s earch around find the disc right in the middle of the dogwood, how it got there I have no idea, there was no apprarent gap for it to roll through, it looked like it had fallen over at the mouth, I swear a squirrel had moved it. It meant my third only got out as far as Dans but in a worse position, My roller got pin high but 12 meters left and I missed the putt for 5, taking a 6 and losing the hole feeling very hard done by. Croydon 2 up.

Hole 11, dan drove into the woods and got a good kick out back onto the fairway. My sidearm was terrible wormburing and rolling behind the woods and into the ride. To play round would get a 4 a t best and Dan had a good sight down the tunnel, the only way I could get near was over the top the thumber clipped branches and dropped in the woods. I had a long approach for three that just skimmed the chains. Dan won with a 3. I'm suddenly dormie three. Three on the trot lost

Hole 12, Dan was in a puttable position from the drive, mine just under the last trees I approached up but couldn't get the elvation for thechains, drop in 3. Dan went for the birdie putt hit the bucket square on and dropped - every time I have done this same shot over the last 6 months this has left me rolling down the hill, but oh no, it teetered on the ledge and stuck. Dan wins 3 + 2

Really enjoyable round. Think Dan was on for shooting a 60 (we didn't play out the last 2) He's irritatingly steady, I can only think of 2 mistakes all round.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Charlie Mead

Post by Charlie Mead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:47 am

I have the photos from the 2nd Leg - nearly lost them all but my laptop saved my incompetence on the technical side of things. Any suggestions as how best to share these with you gratefully received. All the pics are big (RAW size in terms of Mb) and cant send more than 5 at a time but you may well know better. Any instructions please make idiot proof.
Charlie Mead
charlie.mead01@gmail.com
http://www.cpsforchildren.com
http://www.mulldiscgolf.org.uk
For Tournament Discs see:
http://www.disczoo.com/

Village

Post by Village » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 am

Charlie Mead wrote:I have the photos from the 2nd Leg - nearly lost them all but my laptop saved my incompetence on the technical side of things. Any suggestions as how best to share these with you gratefully received. All the pics are big (RAW size in terms of Mb) and cant send more than 5 at a time but you may well know better. Any instructions please make idiot proof.

I'd suggest opening an account with a faile sharing website such as http://www.photobucket.com this will allow you to upload your pictures to the site and then post links (that the site provides for you) directly onto the forum or any other website.

This is how I can give this Image

Thumbs up!

HTH
Pete
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831