Brighton - 2nd Jan

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
ultiali

Brighton - 2nd Jan

Post by ultiali » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi All,

We're close to having an 18 hole course in a park in Brighton. We're at the early stages of working with the authorities to get a permanent course there.

Trouble is that while we have situated the holes with baskets in mind we haven't played most of them with baskets. We'd like therefore to get a group of people down with baskets (portable is best) so that we can set out a course and then play it.

Sure there will be ample time for a few holes before retiring to a warm and cosy pub.

Obviously the more we have the better it would be, but if we don't get 18 we can set out 9, play and then set them out again.

Looking to do this at some point over the Christmas holidays. My initial thought was the bank holiday on January 3rd but possible some scope for between Christmas and New Year (29th/30th).

EDIT

Going to do this on the 2nd January at 10am

Will post directions closer to the time.
Ali
Last edited by ultiali on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hopper

Re: Brighton Xmas/New Year

Post by Hopper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am

Ali,
We have got 5 baskets, 3 travellers, one skillshot and one full metal, we hope to have another 4 skillshots shortly, funding has been promised. Can bring them down but would obviously have to be off work.

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 am

Hopper wrote:Ali,
We have got 5 baskets, 3 travellers, one skillshot and one full metal, we hope to have another 4 skillshots shortly, funding has been promised. Can bring them down but would obviously have to be off work.
Wow! With a generous offer such as that we'll work round you!

When will you know your shifts?

I'd say the following days are the best choices

Wednesday 29th December
Thursday 30th December
Sunday 2nd January
Monday 3rd January

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm

I have 5 travellers and will be happy to come down

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 am

How is everyone suited for Sunday 2nd?

That works best for us Brighton folk.

Neil M

Post by Neil M » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Unfortunately I will be away but will hopefully be heading over with a skillshot and a couple of other Eastbourne players soon.
BDGA: 362
PDGA: 46974

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 am

We're settling on the 2nd January with a 10am start.

Can a mod please update the thread title to include the date?

Thanks

ultiali

Re: Brighton - 2nd Jan

Post by ultiali » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 am

INAli Findlay
Sam Webber
Rich W
Phil W
Jerry
Charlie M
Neil
Hippy Dan

Poss
James B?

Chris, Matt - Are you good for this date?

Hopper

Post by Hopper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 am

Ali,
Weather permitting we will be down with 5 baskets, 1 full double chained metal, 1 skillshot and 3 travellers. Money for others still not through so won't get them before new year. Cheers chris & Soph :D

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Hopper wrote:Ali,
Weather permitting we will be down with 5 baskets, 1 full double chained metal, 1 skillshot and 3 travellers. Money for others still not through so won't get them before new year. Cheers chris & Soph :D

Most excellent. Might not need you to bring the full basket, but will let you know.

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

don't know yet, I'll be more sure when I have decided what i'm doing for new year's eve.

10 am maybe a struggle from bristol though... I'll give you a ring ali when I know more...

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:52 pm

sorry won't be able to make it down after all. Hope all goes well. If you still want to borrow the 5 travellers I have and can work out a way of getting them from bristol then you're welcome.

sorry i can't come down I look forard to playing the course in future!

matt

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:14 am

Here are directions for anyone coming down.

Here is the Google Maps Page - http://www.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid= ... ast+Sussex

Simple Directions
A23 from the (dirty) North
At Brighton take the A27 towards Lewes and Eastbourne
Leave the A27 at the first exit
At the top of the slip road continue over the roundabout and follow the road ahead. You'll go up a steep hill and then down the otherside. Make sure to bear right and not turn left back onto the A27.
At the bottom of the hill (traffic lights) turn right and get in the outside lane. After 300 yards or so there will be a central reservation to allow you to turn right into Wild Park.
Contiune up the road and park on the righthandside near the Cafe.

Any problems give me a call on 07870644827

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks to all those that came down. Hope you all had a great time. Would be good to get people's feedback be it general or specific, positive or negative. Here are the holes. Fair to say that we've put more work into the bottom 9 than the top 9 but both have some good holes I think.

Bottom 9

Hole 1 - Round the side of the hill

Hole 2 - From the top over the gorse bush. OB long.

Hole 3 - From the bank over the nasty bush into the corner

Hole 4 - From the side of the hill to the basket by the tree. OB over the fence to the right.

Hole 5 - Big long one from one bank to the other bank

Hole 6 - Through the gap in the trees

Hole 7 - Up the hill behind the tree

Hole 8 - Along the path. slight dog-leg right

Hole 9 - Blind over the bank

Top 9

Hole 1 - Very steep up the hill

Hole 2 - Short dog leg left in the woods

Hole 3 - Longish slight left hander into the protected green

Hole 4 - Straightish with the basket right on the edge of the dew pond

Hole 5 - Round the big tree with basket tucked into the woods

Hole 6 - Long dog-leg left

Hole 7 - Back over the dew pond to the very small green

Hole 8 - Down the hill!!!

Hole 9 - Down the hill again!!!!

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am

Ali,

Just to say well done for getting this organised. I'm sorry that I couldn't make it this time but hope that there will be another opportunity soon.
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Ali, Sam thanks for arranging a great day on sunday. As promised, here are my thoughts on the layout.

Hole 1 - Round the side of the hill- Good solid hole.
Pretty straight forward sidearm, but backhand can see this causing problems especially in wind. Main issue was footing, all of our group slipped on loose rocks or root stumps walking to discs. If it had been raining I can only imagine this being worse. In summer if this grows anything above ankle high, it would be a lost disc nightmare!

Hole 2 - From the top over the gorse bush. OB long.
Superb hole. Very tough, requires a lot of control to get near the pin. Don’t change a thing! loved it!

Hole 3 - From the bank over the nasty bush into the corner
Didn’t punish wayward drives that much, I think all of our group 3’d after a variety of tee shots. One idea was to bring the basket this side of the fence and make it OB long, and OB on flat, moving the tee back to not alter distance (though staying safe for drives coming in from 5).

Hole 4 - From the side of the hill to the basket by the tree. OB over the fence to the right.
Good hole, Similar to hole 2, though slightly longer. Again, will be a nightmare in wind! To avoid another up hill walk, and for some variation the tee could be made lower, then a similar hole to hole 5 at Croydon, but tougher anhyzer line as the slope will be in the way.

Hole 5 - Big long one from one bank to the other bank.
Brilliant hole! Very tough 3, not quiet a 4. could take the tee back up the hill a bit tempting more people to go for the basket. In summer the tree line will be tough to get over if taking the option of going to the right hand side.

Hole 6 - Through the gap in the trees
Will be very tight in the summer unless trimmed back!! Good gap to hit at present and punishes bad drives. Could the basket be pushed higher into the tree line to make it tougher if need be?

Hole 7 - Up the hill behind the tree
Pretty straight forward. Plays longer due to the up hill drive, the guarding tree didn’t really effect our group but probably would in summer. Will rarely be 2’d and see plenty of 4’s.

Hole 8 - Along the path. slight dog-leg right
Simples for a side arm, good challenge as will face opposite wind to hole 1 creating a different challenge on a similar hole.

Hole 9 - Blind over the bank
I really enjoyed this hole. The cleaver pin placement meant you could throw any line you wanted and have to be under control to avoid going long. Was it OB to the left i.e. the flat?? I would suggest moving the pin so at least the top of the pin can be seen from the tee, this would temp more people to go for it. (or get the pin raised up somehow??!)

Top 9

Hole 1 - Very steep up the hill
Really didn’t like this one, felt like a filler hole. No real gap to aim for, could severely punish an unfortunate drive that catches an edge and rolls down hill, as there would be nothing to stop it. Clear the gap a bit or find/make a line through the trees on the right that you can play across the hill more so. Would be unplayable in rain/icy conditions as you would slip off the tee!

Hole 2 - Short dog leg left in the woods
Nice idea, but I don’t think this is really a hole, even with ricochets it was an easy 3. Im sure there is a hole in that area, maybe playing it in reverse, putting the basket further downhill? Some exploration needed here!

Hole 3 - Longish slight left hander into the protected green
Pretty straight forward hole, pretty easy three if you keep your drive to the right. Could be easily tightened with a artificial pond or OB line on the right for a more challenging hole.

Hole 4 - Straightish with the basket right on the edge of the dew pond
Too similar to hole 3. Its almost an identical tee shot (RHBH straight to hyzer finish). The dew pond makes you think more about the approach, but not that much more. Could the basket be moved to the right hand side of the gap, meaning if you overshoot, you are down the hill? Or a gap in the tree line on the right?

Hole 5 - Round the big tree with basket tucked into the woods
I felt there was no real drive available here, only safe option was to lay up towards the bushes and leave enough space to try and shape an approach. Only a huge arm would get a RHBH over the top of the tree as you cant throw a flex shot to get the distance, with a side arm or LHBH you would be able to get over them with an anhyzer being able to flex back toward the pin.

Hole 6 - Long dog-leg left
Thought this was a pretty dull hole (all be it a pretty drive towards to sea!), no danger really on either side and a long walk back to the next tee.

Hole 7 - Back over the dew pond to the very small green
Really enjoyed this hole, makes you want to attack it but you know the pond is there. The stuff behind the basket is very dense and if you go at the pin, you stand a good chance of bouncing back or holding on the edge. The trees behind and right of the pin have a very dense canopy layer but are pretty open beneath, in summer discs will get stuck rather than fall, could something be done to prevent lots of discs flying into this? thinking mando

Hole 8 - Down the hill!!! And turn right
Beautiful hole, lots of control needed to not fade to early or overshoot. Think I only saw 2 or 3 really good shots on this out of so many. Brilliant seeing them fly off and glide for ages. Side arm or left handed gave the more natural line to the hole but its much more fun to launch a putter and try to keep it on the straight/gentle turn for 200m.

Hole 9 - Down the hill again!!!! And keep it straight.
Whilst it sounds the same, I found this a much different hole to 8. Beautiful to see the disc fly for so long again, this hole gave you the space to pop the putter out to the right on the line of the slope and let it drift in towards the basket. But with this being the same basket as used in hole 5, some thought needs to be given as to where you will shoot to (for both holes).

Overall I had a great day down on the south coast and the park and weather was fantastic – with even a gentle breeze I can see the course being brutal! The front 9 have obviously been more thought out and flow well. These are not beginner holes so alternates tees could be considered for juniors/newbs. On the back 9, I really didn’t like hole 1it felt out of place compared to the rest of the course, just thrown in to break up the walk up the hill. I think there could be a hole there (and hole 2) but they need to looked at to create a line that can be played rather than what I feel was a throw to a tree and hope for a lucky bounce.

The whole area has such fantastic potential and with the uni just next door, a good potential player base. Great work, keep it up and let us know if you want any more help!

Personal highlight… a guessimated (got to love google maps) 850ft drive from halfway down the ski slope over the valley towards the basket of 4. My longest ever throw… just with the helping hand of altitude…

Phil

ssouth

Post by ssouth » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

ALI, SAM.

Wow well done Phil, on the bases of Phils feedback i agree. just a few things on a few holes we diff in opinion

On hole 5 not sure about moving the tee thought it was pretty good.

Hole 1 of the second 9;- wasnt sure we went from the correct spot but not sure about that hole? without abit of work?? you could probably only throw so far up extremely lucky if you make any kidda gap.

Hole 2; - in the woods,,. not sure,. like the idea,. not sure the hole is prefect yet.

I quite like hole 4!!

hole 5 again quite liked this hole, more of a gap would be nice, but still like it the way it was.

Was number 6 not to the right rather than left,.??

Overall, i think the course is pretty good, would be brilliant to manage to play all 18 at once and see how they play- but you have two great holes that went to the same basket which is a shame.

also the obvious how will the course play in the summer?
the tees would also need flatterening,
if we had a competition can we fit cars in the park??
I wasnt convince that Ali and Sam had the same idea of tee postions at the weekend, protenially groups playing from different areas at the weekend.

but other than that, good luck I hope we manage to come and play at brighton very soon!! well done
the comedy legends

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:03 pm

ssouth wrote:Was number 6 not to the right rather than left,.??
your right Soph, it was a right turn rather than left....another sidearm friendly hole :D

Phil