Hyzer Cup 2010 - 2011

Winter Doubles and one off doo's.
Get your non BDGA tour/result announcements in here!
rhatton1

Re: Hyzer Cup 2010 - 2011

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 am

Singles

Open
Derek vs Phil Wood - QP won by 1
Ivan vs Paul Cooper QP won 2 + 1

Jesse vs Dan Ryan Croydon won 3 + 2 I think
James Luton vs Andy Lucey Croydon won 2 + 1
Dunc Hartshorne vs Bruce Webber Croydon won 6 + 5
Sue vs Oz Freire Croydon won 3 + 2 I think.

Adv. Ams.

Rich Hatton vs Jack Lawrence QP won 5 + 3
Jim Edwards vs Jerry Andrew QP won 5 + 4
Jon Turner vs Neil Prebble QP won I think this was about 2+ 1
Pete Black vs Richie Oconnell QP won 1 up
Dan Eagle vs Charlie Myall QP won I think about 3 + 2
Mark Davis vs James Bates QP won 2 + 1
Neal Pickett vs Ali Findlay QP won 5+ 4 (great result for Neil and his first hyzer win)

Rich Hatton vs Fran wilson Croydon won 1 up
Paul Stoddart vs dan Pommer Croydon won 2 + 1
Paul Holden vs Rich Wood Croydon won 2 + 1

Int ams.

Jon Tweed vs Louie Webber QP won 10 + 9 (might have been 9 + 8 Tweedy will be definitely moving up after shooting a 56 in the singles,)
Gary O Malley vs Jarvis Ryan QP won 5 + 4 (hell of a result for Gary)
Dan Waxman vs Sweary Kev QP won 4 + 3

Connor Holden vs Dan Hawkins Draw ( hell of a result for Connor, thought Dan would be playing adv. )

Nicci Vinson vs Paul Cripps Croydon won 10 + 9
Martin MSith vs Paul Bates Croydon won 2 + 1 I think

Qp lead 18 - 15 after the first leg.

margins might be slightly off but I think the results are correct,
Last edited by rhatton1 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 am

Anyway if people would like to write up a report of their matches so we have a record of what happened that woul dbe great!

Started in the morning with Doubles with Dark Mavis (Double Impact Mark 2) we were playing Dan Pommer and James Bates. I was looking for revenge on dan for Double impacts loss earlier this year on the last shot of match up and revenge we did get!

Started hole 18
We took my drive 20 meters short and to the left - They took James 30 meters short. Mark and my approaches were both about 5 meters right. Mark putted and missed, I hit the putt and halved the hole.
Hole 1 Mark drove straight at it, and nailed the putt for birdie, I believe the other two could only get the par. QP 1 up.
Hole 2 We took my drive which was pretty much parked, they couldn't match the two. QP 2 up.
Hole 3 We took Marks drive just into the trees on the left almost pin high about 12 meters from the basket. Dans drive was about 8 meters. Marks putt just missed mine hit the band, they both missed their putts halved for a 3 QP 2 up
Hole 4 Hardly felt like throwing after Marks hammer landed and ended up touching the pole. They took James drive which was a good 12 meters away and had to make the putt to halve the hole - Dan missed and under pressure James nailed a beauty to keep it QP 2 up.
Hole 5 we were locked in on my drive. I landed it behind the tree that defends the basket. Mark approached under the basket, halved the hole with 3's
Hole 6 We took Marks drive and then took his approach which gave us a 10 meter putt for the three. neither of us could quite make it. Hole halved with a 4 QP 2 up
Hole 7 MArk drove to within 10 meters, I drove all of us thought its alright but not great, it swung in and hit the pole just under the basket! The other two drove into the first tree and the one by the OB. Parked 2 for us, they conceded rather than get in the brambles to play. QP 3 up
Hole 8 Neither Marks nor my drive were very good, about 20 meters away, we took Marks to keep open. Dan had pretty much parked the hole. It looked like we were going to probably lose our first hole. Mark had a great run at it just missing to the left. I straddled out for a line round a tree sent in sailing and with a shout of "Get in" the putt sank for a 2. Hole halved QP 3 up, croydon demoralised.
Hole 9 Marks and my drives landed almost on top of each other both about 12 meters from the basket. Croydons was lsightly closer. None of us could quite make the putt. Hole halved QP 3 up
Hole 10 Pretty lacklustre drives all round, easy threes taken from both sides. QP 3 up.
Hole 11 Marks drive was short, mine hyzered out and hit the fence, we wanted mine to stay open despite it being a slightly trickier lie. I thought I could make the sidearm approach but didn't give it enough. (Mark had hit the tree in front of us) We took the four but Croydon won the hole with a 3. QP 2 up.
Hole 12. Both Dans and James drives were deep in trouble neither with an easy attack. Both of ours were straight down the middle, James played a great recovery shot to within 6 meters. They needed the putt but both missed putting to the traveller basket. We won the hole with a 3 QP 3 up.
Hole 13. Took Marks drive which was sailing over the brow of the hill until it just clipped a branch of the big tree which dumped it at the top. James and Dans were not great but Dan played a great approach to the side of the bush by the old basket, 8 meters from the new. I played a side arm apporach to almost the same spot. We had to putt first. Mark just missed, I stretched out and nailed the putt for a 3. Croydon couldn't follow. QP Dormie 4.
Hole 14, took my drive as Mark was on an ace run, just got through the last tree, they took Dans as they really needed to get a 2 to stay in it. My approach just overshot the basket on the rigeht line, easy come back for a 3. Croydon had two good runs at the basket but couldn't make it. Mark made the winning putt. QP win 4 + 3

Singles

Thanks to John Masseys late drop out throwing everything out we were left a man down for the singles.

I decided to play two rather than have one drop out (partly fueled by a desire to be able to win two match ups to make up for the first hyzer cup where this situation had previously occured)

As the draw came out I was fairly pleased to see Jack Lawrence and Fran Wilson as my opponents - this was before I had seen either play! Frans sidearm is completely suited to the croydon course and Jack is obviously someone that played a LOT with Tim Emmott with amost exactly the same easy style.

We started on hole 12 - after the toss up, Fran drove first, me second and Jack last. Fran messed his drive up into the trees on the left, he was going to struggle to get a 3. My drive went straight down the middle within birdie distance. Jacks was a bit behind mine but hidden by the tree. Fran was up there for a four. Jack should have taken a three but missed a very small putt leaving me with an easy three to win the hole from both QP 1 up and QP 1 up
Hole 13, I drove first and got through to just behind the brow of the hill. Fran went straight into the big tree Jack got round the side but messed up his approach as did Fran, Frans third was just in front of my first so he was effectively out and Jacks was way left. I put my sidearm with 6 meters and won the hole with a 3. QP 2 up in both
Hole 14 my drive jsut made it through the last tree on the left. My approach was within 3 meters. Fran missed the mando and then put his approach under the basket. Jack threw a great drive which should have been birdie but took a three. They made me take my putt. I missed as it bounced out of center chain. drew and lost. QP 1 up Qp 2 up
Hole 15. Jack put his drive down into the big tree at the back. I played safe straight down the middle, Frans sidearm was a bit behind me. Jack somehow found a route out and parked the hole. we shared with a 3. QP 1 up QP 2 up
Hole 16 My drive was just short of the gap and to the left. The other two were right back at the entrance. Fran approached straight up the gap. Jack was to the left. my flicked sidearm hit the rim of the traveller but didn't stick. Fran hit his 3 Jack couldn't QP 2 up in both.
Hole 17 My drive looked and felt good, turned over a little too much and caught an outside branch on mando tree and bounced right horribly. It was directly parallel to the tree but not over the mando, all I could do was chip out to pretty much where the other two had landed their drives. my approach was good, Jacks was off to the right, Fran was straight up the middle. just missed the putt for 4 and took a 5, Fran got his 4 and halved with Jack for 5 QP 2 up QP 1up
Hole 18 my drive was good straight down the middle, the other two both took 4's I had a nervy putt for the 3 but took it. QP3 up Qp 2 up
Hole 1. My drive was on the tee of 2 Frans straight up the middle for an easy 2 and Jacks slightly further out than me but a straight shot. Jack almost made his and I had my first real tactical decision, to either go for it and try to beat Jack and draw with Fran or to lay up and make sure of drawing with Jack, I deceided to go for it, hit metal and took the 3. QP 3 up QP 1 up
Hole 2 all of us hit the tree, all of us took a 3 QP 3 up qp 1up
Hole 3 Good drive from Fran to the tree on the right by the basket. mine hit the foliage on the left as did Jacks - he was further in than me but threw a great approach out. My approach was slightly outside Jacks, I went for the putt for 3 and just missed, both Fran and Jack took threes. QP 2 up all square
Hole 4 Fran was deep in the first tree and Jack was long way right. I decided to risk going for it. Instead of using my usual safe three thumber and sometimes two, I went for an s cruve with a Firebird and completely messed it up with my first disappointing shot of the day. I was caught high in the bushes on the wonrg side. I managed to find a line out, finally learning the lesson that I don't always have to throw under the basket and can play to a spot 6 meters away and then make the putt, which I did to halve the hole. QP 2 up all square
Hole 5. Fran was way left, my drive was 15 meters to the left and short Jack was just outside me. Fran had to wait for ages for some dog walkers to move and messed up his approach about 8 meters short. Jack went for it and overshot for a not easy come back. I had my second tactical decision, either go for it straight on with greater chance of going in but more chance of flying by, or straddle putt, where I would definitley make a return. Decided to straddle as I thought I would beat Fran with a 3 and possibly Jack. As it was it went straight in the chains for a 2! QP 3 up QP 1 up.
Hole 6 threw a good long drive, Fran and JAck in similar positions. Fran threw first and landed just short of the tree. I threw second and got under the tree and was 5 meters right. Jack messed up his approach landing a long way left. I think I took the hole with a 4 from Jack but drew with Fran. QP 4 up QP 1 up.
Hole 7 Fran and I threw similar drives 10 meters short. Jack was right up there putting for 2, all of us took threes. QP dormie 4 up QP 1 up.
I sidearmed drove first 2 meters past the basket, must have almost aced it. Fran was within 4 meters, Jack was caught back in the rough about 12 meters away, needing to hit it to stay in the game he threw a great sidearm which rattled the rim but didn't drop. Fran and I hit the birdie, I won 5 + 3 QP 1 up.
Hole 9 I messed up my drive Fran landed within 5 meters. I threw a great outshot from a horrible position to give myself a 12 meter putt, just missed and Fran could two putt in for the win (he could easily have nailed the two but took the sensible option despite me urging him to go for it ;-)) all square two to play.
Hole 10 both of us turned over sidearm drives into the big tree on the left. Mine was in deep, I had a slight window to get out and got within 3 meters of the hole, Fran parked his. For the first time in the match they let me pick up my disc! hole halved. All square one to play.
Hole 11 Fran played a big safe sidearm over the bushes and safe up top, defnite four from there not an easy 3. I worm burned my attempted anny drive just making it into the gap by the bush. I played one of my shots of the day with a anny sidearm with the Firebird which s'd around and landed 8 meters short. Fran threw a sidearm which was a good 15 meters left and low of the basket, it caught the ground with a fair bit of pace in it and got the most almighty skip taking it at almost right angles back up the hill to within 4 meters of the basket - ARRGGHH. once again on the last hole I thought I was about to win and then suddenly pressure is turned back on!(three times this has happened to me in Hyzer now!) I took ages lining up my putt, realising his chances of missing were slim I had to go for it, I hit what I thought was a perfect putt straight down the middle all the way, I was celebrating before it hit and then it hit the top of the rim bounced up caught a chain and dropped down for a lean over 4. Fran had a nervy 4 meter putt for the win which he took.

Gutted. I don't think I could have played any better, shot a 59 (i thought I had hit the 3 on 6 yesterday but it must have been a 4 so not the 58 I thought) So one over the new course par. There was only one hole where I didn't have to finish it off and that was 3 where they both got 3's to my would be 4. After a poor start Fran played really well to win, from my side I can't blame it on having to play two people there were only a couple of decisions in that vein I had to make all round. I still can't quite get my head around how I din't win though!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Phil Wood

Post by Phil Wood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 pm

As Jerry was feeling the effects of the previous night, i ended up playing two rounds of singles, they went something like this....

V Paul Stoddart (with the Webbers v Ivan & Nikki)

Hole 1 – Paul Drives first, a little high and fades left leaving a 20m putt, my magnet glides straight at the pin leaving a 5 meter putt. Paul can’t drain the long putt, I can the deuce. Croydon 1up.

Hole 2 – Both go high over the tree, both park it. Hole halved with 2’s. Croydon 1up.

Hole 3 – Both have good drives straight down the middle of the fairway leaving 20meter putts. Both take easy 3’s. Croydon 1up

Hole 4 – scrappy drives, Paul’s turned over and stayed right, mine hit tree and was short. My approach was rubbish and I couldn’t putt out, Paul hit his par. A/S

Hole 5 - Paul crushes his drive, clipping the bush guarding the tree and landing 8meters long. I was in split minds to backhand over the hedge or sidearm and fade in. I chose the latter, out of my hand I knew it was good, narrowly missed the pin and landed 4m long. Paul drained his putt so halved the hole, again with 2’s. A/S

Hole 6 – Both drives were good, level with the tee of 8, Paul slightly closer than mine. I left a tricky 10meter putt to the right of the tree, Paul flicks a roller up the hill and 6m from the pin. I hit nothing but chains with a tough putt, Paul holes out again. The third hole of the match halved with birdies. A/S

Hole 7 – Pauls drive fades left early, my Buzz flirts with OB right but stays in the trees. Both up and in for par. A/S

Hole 8 - Pauls drive is a bit low and leaves a 20m putt. I sidearm my Drone high and handsome right under the pin. Croydon 1up.

Hole 9 – My sidearm is too straight, not fading until really late near the bushes on right of 10th tee. Paul ends up in a world of hurt in the trees on the right and cant get out. I win the hole with a Par. Croydon 2up (if it was stroke play -Phil -4 Paul-2)

Hole 10 – My putter flies straight and true all the way down leaving a 15m putt, Pauls drive puts him a little further back. I cant hit the putt, both in for par. Croydon 2up.

Hole 11 – I drive my sidearm straight through the gap and into the middle of the bush. Paul pulls his a little short. I find mine slap bang in the middle of crap and have to declare an unplayable lie. I come to the back of the bush and played my shot of the day, a high sidearmed Predator on a huge anhyzer that curled and twised and flexed back and landed under the basket for a drop in par to halve the hole. Croydon 2up.

Hole 12 – Pretty uneventful, both took pars with average drives, ok approaches and putts that you would expect to make. Croydon 2up.

Hole 13 – Both had good drives up the hill, Paul left him a little right. His second got him in trouble. I played safe and won the hole with par. Croydon 3 up.

Hole 14 – The beginning of the end for me! I drive into the first mando tree, Paul sends his up the middle. I try to flick it up to the basket to save par but over shoot. Paul hits par and takes the hole. Croydon 2up.

Hole 15 – Paul has a great drive up level with the big tree on the right, I pull my drive and end up behind the sapling. My up-shot is woeful and I cant save par with a 10m putt. Croydon 1up.

Hole 16 – Both appear to have good drives up to the edge of the copse, both slightly too far left for a birdie. But Pauls disc magically disappears. We look for 10minutes (there were no groups behind us – we checked!) for his disc but nothing. He is forced to re-tee. Would have hit a 4, but I was there for par. Croydon 2 up.

Hole 17. Both drives were ok. I explained to Bruce how I had two options the safe, easy, open hyzer line or the tough sidearm route… slap went the side arm into the tree - D’oh! Paul went with the back hand under the guarding tree. Hits his par, I cant. Croydon 1 up

Hole 18. Pauls drive is straight down the middle and long. My drive turns over into tree on the right. I couldn’t get a line for the upshot with the tree in the way, my attempt leaves a 25meter putt. Which I missed, Paul is up an in, to win the hole with a par. Match drawn

V Del (with Slug and Martin Smith)

Hole 9 – Del won the toss and asked me to drive first, my drive was spot on and clipped the bucket leaving a 7m make back putt. Del’s drive was not close enough for a comfy putt, but was under the basket. I drained the putt and was happy in the knowledge I wasn’t going to lose 10 and 8! Croydon 1up

Hole 10 – My putter drifted right and found the gap in the trees, Del’s comet was on the perfect line and parked up practically under the pin. Del brought things back to normality with the 2. A/S

Hole 11 – Del drives safely through the gap, I crush one through the gap, over the bush and down the path. Dels up shot leaves a long putt, my up shot is rubbish and fades down the hill pin high. Del cant make the putt and I hit the bucket but drop short. Halved with pars. A/S

Hole 12 – Del’s drive is straight (common theme this!) but behinds the tree, I crush a teebird straight through and 7meters from the pin. Dels putt drops short, but I hit mine. Croydon 1up.

Hole 13 – My drive is a little short but in a good spot, Del shoots low and doesn’t get far up the hill. His next sidearm does similar and is just about at hangmans. My approach puts me just behind the bush. Del’s third clips trees and leaves him in a rough spot, right behind the bush, but pulls out an amazing spike hyzer up, over and down less than 3meter from the pin. I know I have 2 shots to win the hole but my cut roller doesn’t cut and goes straight leaving a 15m putt. I cant his it and the hole was halved. Croydon 1up

Hole 14 – My drive was near enough perfect, through the mando’s and 6meters from the pin, Dels was through and under the bucket for his par. I short arm the putt, another chance gone begging. Croydon 1up.

Hole 15 – my good drives continue and I overshoot the bucket leaving a 8meter putt. Del’s avenger flexed and turned leaving a 15m putt. He his metal and dropped, I hit center chains and won the hole. Croydon 2up.

Hole 16 – Maybe a little over excited now, I shank my drive and pull it low. Del’s drive is a on a frozen rope under the bucket. I run the pin but am no where near. I don’t bother to putt out. Croydon 1up.

Hole 17 – Del’s drive is unsurprisingly straight down the middle, my drive is a little longer, to the right of the tree guarding the old pin. I flick around and Del drives underneath, both in for 4. Croydon 1up.

Hole 18 – Both drive straight and under the pin for easy 3’s (why couldn’t I do that earlier!!!) Croydon 1up.

Hole 1 – Del’s putter is straight down the middle, mine drifts right slightly, leaving a 9meter putt. I miss, Del doesn’t. A/S

Hole 2 – Del finds a gap in the tree, I go over the top. Both hit out putts. A/S

Hole 3 – Both drive straight, neither hit the long putt, both hit the short putt. A/S

Hole 4 – Del’s flick is 7meters past the pin, my buzz is too high and fades short and left. I miss the putt, but unbelievably so does Del. Hole halved. A/S

Hole 5 – Del’s drive is just shy of pin high but careers into the hedge on the right. A few nervous seconds of is it, isn’t in OB. I side arm and fade into the left hand side of the bush. I miss my putt, Del was fair and missed his putt too. A/S

Hole 6 – Del’s roller drifts gently round the corner, my drive is shocking. Turned burned after about 60m. My approach is worse, my flick cuts too early hits the tree and kicks back behind the tree into some crap. Del’s approach leaves him a 12m putt. My attempted putt flicks off my finger and goes 5meters to my right rather than the intended direction. I miss the putt. Del doesn’t risk the putt, lays up and wins the hole. QP 1up

Hole 7 – Dels magnet fades a little too much and leaves him 17m left. My buzzz is on a good line and 13m short and slightly right. Del misses the putt as do I. QP 1up.

Hole 8 – last chance… Dels drive is poor. He burns his stratus low leaving little chance of a 2. My sidearm drive is has too much hyzer on it and is a little high and dart in right. I hope for at least a line to try, but have nothing, I step round and try to flick a putter at it but it was never close. Hole halved. QP win 1-0

Phil
Last edited by Phil Wood on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Has the wrong Wood moved up for next year? :wink:

Great effort Mr Wood. Even if the old boy is falling apart, to run him that close deserves a lot of praise!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

Paul Holden

Post by Paul Holden » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am

Can someone please confirm the date for the second leg?
Paul Holden
BDGA No. 307
PDGA No. 34662

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 am

2nd leg is sunday 30th January at Quarry PArk starting around 9.30 please contact either myself or Rich Wood if you are wanting to play.

thanks
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

West

Post by West » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:44 pm

Still no for me ... booo!! :(

Physio on Wednesday tho! :D
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

West

Post by West » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Results are up!

http://www.hyzercup.co.uk/event/3

There are a couple of issues with the counting of the event scores on the event page, which I will look into soon but as the new version is on its way probably won't ;)

Any issues with the match ups then please let me know the url / match number with the correct details and I'll update them :)

Enjoy!
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 am

I have posted a few mistakes on QP forum.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

West

Post by West » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Fixed!!
"West"