Rules thread

Does what it says on the tin!
User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:34 pm

this post has just made me re read this whole thread and has annoyed the hell out of me realising my own stupidity.

Dutch Open first round 3 times I putted from about 6 -7 metres hit the basket and bounced/flipped/rolled OB further away from the basket than my original very makeable putt. over the three rounds I think I went OB in this way about 7 times. I then lost further shots missing the return putt.

can I just clarify for future if this were to happen I could take my next shot from the same spot with just a +1 penalty for the OB?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Paul Holden
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: York

Post by Paul Holden » Wed May 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Interesting. Last week I threw my drive on QP 15 over the metal fence to the left of the front tee pad. I took a new drive as a third shot. When I told people later that I had done this I was told I was not allowed to do that. Was I correct or not?

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 am

rhatton1 wrote:this post has just made me re read this whole thread and has annoyed the hell out of me realising my own stupidity.

Dutch Open first round 3 times I putted from about 6 -7 metres hit the basket and bounced/flipped/rolled OB further away from the basket than my original very makeable putt. over the three rounds I think I went OB in this way about 7 times. I then lost further shots missing the return putt.

can I just clarify for future if this were to happen I could take my next shot from the same spot with just a +1 penalty for the OB?
Correct.
Paul Holden wrote:Interesting. Last week I threw my drive on QP 15 over the metal fence to the left of the front tee pad. I took a new drive as a third shot. When I told people later that I had done this I was told I was not allowed to do that. Was I correct or not?
You were correct.

Unless a drop zone is specified (a la Burnlaw, or the lake at Essex), you can always play from your previous lie.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
West
Posts: 2624
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Post by West » Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 am

bruce wrote:
rhatton1 wrote:this post has just made me re read this whole thread and has annoyed the hell out of me realising my own stupidity.

Dutch Open first round 3 times I putted from about 6 -7 metres hit the basket and bounced/flipped/rolled OB further away from the basket than my original very makeable putt. over the three rounds I think I went OB in this way about 7 times. I then lost further shots missing the return putt.

can I just clarify for future if this were to happen I could take my next shot from the same spot with just a +1 penalty for the OB?
Correct.
Paul Holden wrote:Interesting. Last week I threw my drive on QP 15 over the metal fence to the left of the front tee pad. I took a new drive as a third shot. When I told people later that I had done this I was told I was not allowed to do that. Was I correct or not?
You were correct.

Unless a drop zone is specified (a la Burnlaw, or the lake at Essex), you can always play from your previous lie.
I wonder how many times this will come up at the next QP event :)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:26 pm

I don't understand why you would want to retee if you had gone OB to the left on 15? There is even ground all the way up to the mando which would be just as good for your next shot and surely you are just giving yourself the risk of doing it again going back to the tee?

I can see it happening on hole 7 I had one at Spring Fling where I hit the rim and it rolled into the water, not many other places though where you can think the original shot lie would be better than the OB lie round the course.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 pm

rhatton1 wrote:I don't understand why you would want to retee if you had gone OB to the left on 15? There is even ground all the way up to the mando which would be just as good for your next shot and surely you are just giving yourself the risk of doing it again going back to the tee?

I can see it happening on hole 7 I had one at Spring Fling where I hit the rim and it rolled into the water, not many other places though where you can think the original shot lie would be better than the OB lie round the course.
You're not giving yourself enough credit for rubbishness here fella, think big!

I recall an occasion Sue managed to go OB in the river on hole 13... Think I'd probably re-tee that one... :shock:
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

dunc
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Rugby

Post by dunc » Thu May 07, 2009 1:23 pm

rhatton1 wrote:this post has just made me re read this whole thread and has annoyed the hell out of me realising my own stupidity.

Dutch Open first round 3 times I putted from about 6 -7 metres hit the basket and bounced/flipped/rolled OB further away from the basket than my original very makeable putt. over the three rounds I think I went OB in this way about 7 times. I then lost further shots missing the return putt.

can I just clarify for future if this were to happen I could take my next shot from the same spot with just a +1 penalty for the OB?
Rich you really are quite special!...... I had a conversation with you at the Dutch open about this very rule!!...Because it a happened to me on round 1 and I had forgotten to invoke it until about two seconds after i'd missed the OB putt when I realised my folly

It is worth noting that when this situation occurs, you are quite often so annoyed at the roll away and the unfairness of it that even when you know as I did this rule exists, you are unable to think calmly enough to use it in the given situation
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:32 pm

challenge accepted :shock: Crazy OB's here I come.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

dunc
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Rugby

Post by dunc » Thu May 07, 2009 1:35 pm

bruce wrote:
rhatton1 wrote:I don't understand why you would want to retee if you had gone OB to the left on 15? There is even ground all the way up to the mando which would be just as good for your next shot and surely you are just giving yourself the risk of doing it again going back to the tee?

I can see it happening on hole 7 I had one at Spring Fling where I hit the rim and it rolled into the water, not many other places though where you can think the original shot lie would be better than the OB lie round the course.
You're not giving yourself enough credit for rubbishness here fella, think big!

I recall an occasion Sue managed to go OB in the river on hole 13... Think I'd probably re-tee that one... :shock:
Think Whitcombe! The holes at the top of the modern course.... quite often you see people get the shot wrong and the disc flies all the way down to the pheasant pen at the bottom! How many of these people have walked down slogged their way back up to get an 8 or 9, 10 or even 11!? You should Re-tee every time in this situation as you have a better chance of saving a five...or maybe even a four if you are lucky...of course....you could always throw the same rubbish and be in the pheasant pen again....but you pays your money and takes your chance :D
The Treasurerrer..... hic!

PDGA #8822
BDGA #154

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm

dunc wrote:Think Whitcombe! The holes at the top of the modern course.... quite often you see people get the shot wrong and the disc flies all the way down to the pheasant pen at the bottom! How many of these people have walked down slogged their way back up to get an 8 or 9, 10 or even 11!? You should Re-tee every time in this situation as you have a better chance of saving a five...or maybe even a four if you are lucky...of course....you could always throw the same rubbish and be in the pheasant pen again....but you pays your money and takes your chance :D
At the risk of muddying the water, you don't even have to be OB:
A. A player may declare his or her lie to be an unplayable lie. The player is the sole judge as to whether the lie is unplayable. The unplayable lie may be relocated to a new lie that is: (1) No closer to the hole, on the line of play and within five meters of the unplayable lie; or (2) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved, from an approximate lie as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.
Although in this case you're choosing to add the penalty throw, so it'd better be a pretty shoddy lie...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 am

Now that rule I could use round QP!

I could officially call a lie in the middle of the fairway unplayable? I wouldn't have to have any reason to clal it unplayable but my own opinion? (admittedly I would expect lynching if i ever invoked it)

Would you be expected to look at the lie first or throw it, ignore it and take s econd shot with a +1 + previous shot penalty, without even checking? Doesn't really seem within the spirit of the game!

There are bushes that you can get stuck in on hole ten where this would definitely be worth moving out on to the fairway from, where it would be at least one shot out probably two. Well worth taking the penalty!

Sorry Dunc, obviously conversations with you aren't too memorable :wink:
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Fri May 08, 2009 11:32 am

rhatton1 wrote:Now that rule I could use round QP!

I could officially call a lie in the middle of the fairway unplayable? I wouldn't have to have any reason to clal it unplayable but my own opinion? (admittedly I would expect lynching if i ever invoked it)

Would you be expected to look at the lie first or throw it, ignore it and take s econd shot with a +1 + previous shot penalty, without even checking? Doesn't really seem within the spirit of the game!

There are bushes that you can get stuck in on hole ten where this would definitely be worth moving out on to the fairway from, where it would be at least one shot out probably two. Well worth taking the penalty!

Sorry Dunc, obviously conversations with you aren't too memorable :wink:
You say that now, but I've considered invoking this many times from evil lies within, for example, the horrible dogwood bushes on 10, and never have. The extra shot makes all the difference, 2 from where you are versus 1 from the alternative, 2 shots wins nearly all the time.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm

As I was reading the rule if you call an unplayable lie you can take your next shot anywhere from within 5 metres of the unplayable lie as long as this is not closer to the basket.

From those dogwoods on ten surely this would give you a nice clean drop out onto the fairway, 5 meters isn't a lot but its enough when you're in the middle of one of those clumps, and realistically from some of them could give you a par saving three if your drive has landed in there (+ 1 penalty stroke)

There are lies in there that whichever way you stretch its almost impossible to get back out into the fairway with one shot. If you can move 5 metres right or left you're back in play with worse case a 4 (3 shots +1)
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

User avatar
Steve
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:33 am
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Contact:

Post by Steve » Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 pm

I always thought the unplayable lie had to be in a straight line back from the basket (up to 5 metres)?. So dogwood would turn into more dogwood behind you if you went back 5 metres back unless you hit the fairway of 13.
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Fri May 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Can neither of you read? :wink:

(1) No closer to the hole, on the line of play and within five meters of the unplayable lie; or (2) The previous lie
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 am

Nope,

What does on the line of play mean? Is that direct line to the basket? I was readint that as being anywhere within 5 meters to left or right but not closer to the basket. I take it thats not correct then?
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

bruce
Posts: 2581
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by bruce » Mon May 11, 2009 8:27 am

rhatton1 wrote:Nope,

What does on the line of play mean? Is that direct line to the basket? I was readint that as being anywhere within 5 meters to left or right but not closer to the basket. I take it thats not correct then?
http://www.pdga.com/rules/800-definitions
Line of Play: The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

User avatar
Jester
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am

Post by Jester » Mon May 11, 2009 3:05 pm

bruce wrote: Line of Play: The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.
The second sentence about the line having no thickness should be heeded by all those who try to pitch an inch, inadvertently or otherwise, by sliding their foot to the side of the marker. It's not cricket.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Paul Holden
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm
Location: York

Post by Paul Holden » Mon May 11, 2009 10:23 pm

rhatton1 wrote:I don't understand why you would want to retee if you had gone OB to the left on 15? There is even ground all the way up to the mando which would be just as good for your next shot and surely you are just giving yourself the risk of doing it again going back to the tee?
1. Because the tee is a lot more than 1 metre from a very nasty metal fence.

2. Because my run up would have been through the tee post.

3. Because I wanted to throw the correct drive from the tee.

User avatar
rhatton1
Posts: 1692
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Leamington Spa
Contact:

Post by rhatton1 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 am

Just been reading on PDGA and this was the topic of the day:

http://www.pdga.com/interference-rule

During competition I have seen people be asked to guard on holes like 7 at QP after an approach to make sure the disc doesn't roll into the water and get lost as a result. According to the above just because the disc is already out of bounds (in competition there is generally a rope about a meter from the water) it should still not be stopped by any other player even when its already OB as the player that stops it would incur a 2 shot penalty. Only when it comes to rest as agreed by the group can anyone else or the player themselves touch the disc.

Harsh - when being nice doesn't pay!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Post Reply