New Team Format - Single Double Triples

Does what it says on the tin!
Jester

New Team Format - Single Double Triples

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Single Double Triples

I was recently golfing in a group of 9 golfers (with varying abilities from high 900s to low 800s) and we wanted to play a round of 18 holes in a social format. We were going to play best-shot Doubles but that would have left one player out, so instead we made three teams of 3 and came up with the following new format.

It was great fun, required an amount of tactical teamwork like Doubles, and worked really well with our mixed-ability group of players. As there are three players in a team, Single Double Triples works for any total number of players divisible by 3. We seeded our group of 9 players to make the teams as even as possible.

In a nutshell it’s a combination of Singles and Doubles in a Triple, with a rule that makes sure the pair changes within the team on each hole.

How to play
1. All three players in the team drive
2. After looking at the lies, the team choose which player will play this hole as Single player
3. The other two players then choose one of their remaining two lies to play from
4. The single player completes the hole from their lie in singles stroke play format
5. The doubles pairing complete the hole from the chosen lie in best-shot Doubles stroke play format
6. At the end of the hole the Single score and Doubles score are added together to give a Team Score for the hole
7. On the next hole all players drive and the players again choose who will be the Single player. The only restriction is that the same player may not play as the Single on consecutive holes

We found tactics playing a part, like trying to predict who would play the next hole well as the Single so we could avoid choosing that player as the Single on the current hole thus locking them out. There was also the pressure of knowing on the tee if your Doubles partner had gone OB that you really had to make it in bounds with the drive.

With a course par of 57 the Single Doubles Triple par was doubled up to 114. Our three teams scored 115, 125 and 125. Pretty respectable given the spread of abilities!

If you give the format a go reply and say how you found it. Also say if you've any ideas on how to improve how it plays. :D
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

bruce

Re: New Team Format - Single Double Triples

Post by bruce » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Additional challenge to see if you can beat the best & worst team hole scores from the round: High - 11 (courtesy of multiple Duncan grip-lock OBs), Low - 3 (Tom Lowes ace + birdie).

Seriously interesting format that could be useful at the Hyzer Cup if teams have odd numbers. I think you could even play it as two matchplay results, with the singles & doubles teams scoring against each other, but with the personnel of each 'team' changing every hole. Tactics cubed in that format. Imagine a team with one stronger player who plays the singles every other hole for the out 9 and establishes a healthy 4-5 up lead. You could then move them into the doubles team for the back 9 and hope the other 2 in rotation can hold onto the singles lead...
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:18 am

Could this not mean though that one players drive might never be taken? I.e. Player 1 and Player 2 alternate being the single and the chosen double. Think you need to apply a standard lockout rule i.e. You must take a players drive (either as a single or part of a double) once every three holes.

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:27 am

ultiali wrote:Could this not mean though that one players drive might never be taken? I.e. Player 1 and Player 2 alternate being the single and the chosen double. Think you need to apply a standard lockout rule i.e. You must take a players drive (either as a single or part of a double) once every three holes.
Yes, the format as we played it did allow for one player's drive to never be used, Ali. It probably didn't matter in Bruce and I's triples as we were each playing with two other players of considerably lower rating. In Dan's triple however he had Tom Lowes and Pete Black. This was the triple that beat Bruce and I's by 10 shots. I'm not sure (and no disrepect to Pete's prowess off the tee) but you might be right that Dan and Tom's drive were predominantly the ones used.

So yes, there may need to be a another lockout rule added to keep things fair, or perhaps the make up of the triple has to be just one solid player and two improving players?
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

This sounds like a great idea Jester. I'm looking to hold a small Doubles comp at our local club in October as part of our new monthly events and did have a small worry about how to deal with the problem if there was an odd number of players turn up. Well this resolves that issue very nicely, thanks! If we do end up playing it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, if you think of a way of implementing that secondary lockout rule please let me know otherwise we'll just follow the same format you did and ask that teams try to be "inclusive of all players" :)
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

seamus

Post by seamus » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:49 am

We were planning on playing doubles yesterday but my offer to be 'Cali' was met with, 'whats that?' So we decided to play Triples. We had just all played 9 holes on the short course so we made teams by pairing the results. At first the triples format just seemed like a jumbled ball of rules but after a few holes I understood the plan. Triples in this format would be very challenging and a ton of fun playing with seasoned disc golfers who already have an understanding of the basics of disc golf. I would recommend if attempting this format when mixed with newer players to just simply rotate through your triples team. We did this and it alleviated confusion for the new players that didn't need to feel anymore like a weak link. This way every 3rd hole you played singles and the rest was played as best shot doubles with alternating partners.
I look forward to playing the triples format again with seasoned players, the extra strategy elements make for exciting disc golf but I would caution against incorporating too many new players into this format.
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com