RSS Feed now available for this forum

Does what it says on the tin!
Jon

RSS Feed now available for this forum

Post by Jon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:34 pm

IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS
For those of you that already know what RSS is and want to get the feed for these forums you can now use

rss.php

IF YOU DONT BUT ARE INTERESTED
If you don't know what it is and are interested, it basically allows you to run a little application on your computer and then you subscribe to all your favourite sites and it tells you when they update (sort of).

For more information you can look at http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-rss.htm

IF YOU DONT CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST
If you don't really care then apologies for the interruption and please feel free to click http://www.changar.com/SWF/BigRedButton.swf

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am

Doesn't appear to work, at least not in Yahoo!

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:18 pm

It does work on my Google Personalised Home Page -

excellent little addition to the forum!

Thanks

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:24 pm

Any chance of putting an RSS icon on either the front page of the BDGA site or the forum site?

Just in case any random surfers find our site, if they see an RSS icon, they may just subscribe.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Yep, its being looked at currently :lol:

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:08 pm

Bruce wrote:Doesn't appear to work, at least not in Yahoo!
By 'Yahoo' which bit do you mean? Might be the RSS version, I can look into it if you can let me know where you are trying to use it.

Cheers,
Jon

West

Post by West » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:11 pm

I can't get it to be used as a live bookmark in firefox ... not sure if its because it doesn't have a *.xml extension or not :?
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Updates:
  • - Changed to RSS 2.0 format which might help some of you having difficulties integrating to other viewers.

- Now includes atom support for those that need it
    rss.php?atom

- Added code to allow Firefox/Opera to automatically detect the RSS feed, watch out for the little Image in the bottom corner and you can subscribe the easy way.

- Added code to allow selection of only feeding certain forums. Find the number for the forum by hovering over a link to it and the number after f= is the number for that forum. Then add it in the following way.
    rss.php?f=#
    So the link for the West Crap Jokes Forum (AKA OB) would be
    rss.php?f=9

- Added link and graphic to the header of all pages just to make it a bit more obvious.
Please note the feed only looks at the last 2 weeks worth of posts to avoid unecessarily stressing out the server. If people feel this needs to be increased I'm sure we could with the current frequency of new posts.

Any problems let me know.

Jon

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 am

Jon wrote:
By 'Yahoo' which bit do you mean? Might be the RSS version, I can look into it if you can let me know where you are trying to use it.

Cheers,
Jon
It's in the My Yahoo! area, you can add rss feeds to the front page, I've variously done them from the BBC site, Planet Rugby and others. When I try this one it says (still does after update too):
"We couldn't find the RSS file you asked for rss.php"

It seems to want an rss.xml format?

Bruce

West

Post by West » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:44 am

Jon wrote:Updates:
  • - Added code to allow Firefox/Opera to automatically detect the RSS feed, watch out for the little Image in the bottom corner and you can subscribe the easy way.
I don't see this icon ... on any pages :(
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:20 am

West wrote:
  • - Added code to allow Firefox/Opera to automatically detect the RSS feed, watch out for the little Image in the bottom corner and you can subscribe the easy way.
Wrong symbol, he meant Image

Look up... :roll:

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:29 am

In Firefox 1.5.0.1 the icon appears in the address bar at the top, not the status bar.

Who'd has guessed that the most active topic this week is the most geeky one? Great work, Jon :D

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 am

Bruce wrote:
West wrote:
Wrong symbol, he meant Image

Look up... :roll:
No, it was the right icon- another brilliant example of different browsers doing things in different ways.

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 am

TheGroover wrote:Who'd has guessed that the most active topic this week is the most geeky one? Great work, Jon :D
Q. 2 geeks and 2 hippies in a field, what are they doing?

A. Calculating the parabolas of rotating circular wings, man.

I'll get me coat...

West

Post by West » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:07 pm

Bruce wrote:I'll get me coat...
Prolly the savest thing to do :wink:
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:15 pm

West wrote:Prolly the savest thing to do :wink:
Pot, kettle, colour check... :P

West

Post by West » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:19 pm

Bruce wrote:
West wrote:Prolly the savest thing to do :wink:
Pot, kettle, colour check... :P
:P :roll:
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

West

Post by West » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:22 pm

Only downside is that the live bookmark in Firefox only displays partial fragment of the subject of the post ... no other information ... so ...

... any recommendations for a rss reader?! :D
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:50 pm

The Groover wrote:No, it was the right icon- another brilliant example of different browsers doing things in different ways.
Indeed, if you use Firefox (Or I think maybe IE7 now) you will see somewhere in the browser the icon I posted. Clicking on this lets you subscribe to the feed automatically.
West wrote:Only downside is that the live bookmark in Firefox only displays partial fragment of the subject of the post ... no other information ... so ...
... any recommendations for a rss reader?! :D
Yeah, Livebookmarks are a bit rubbish for this sort of thing. Personalised Home pages(My Yahoo, Google Homepage etc) do it a bit better but you still just get the subject, which for each post is the same.

Application based feed readers are the best IMHO, and I use FeedReader (http://www.feedreader.com). Its clean simple, and seems to work exactly as I want it to.
Bruce wrote: Wrong symbol, he meantImage
Think we have cleared this one up. The image you posted is obviously still there too in all browsers as its in the header of the actual page.
No your right there it doesn't! :evil:

I have been having a play and its not anything to do with the extension (.xml) as far as I can tell, its something about the way the feed is actually put together. However the feed does validate with all the validators I can find... except for sf@it-magic.dk post about the copenhagen open which seems to have special funny characters in it :cry:

Anyway I think the 'savest' ( :roll: ) thing to do is to leave it with me a bit longer, and I will see what I can come up with!

Jon

bruce

Post by bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:03 pm

Jon wrote:Anyway I think the 'savest' ( :roll: ) thing to do is to leave it with me a bit longer, and I will see what I can come up with!

Jon
No worries, it's not like I was expecting the facility, or had it and you broke it, so no harm no foul :)