New BBC program

Does what it says on the tin!
rhatton1

New BBC program

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi all,

just received this from BBC:

Dear Sirs,
Apologies for emailing out of the blue, but I am working on a brand new Saturday night entertainment programme for BBC1. We are looking for contestants to take part in the show who have interesting and unusual talents and wondered if any of your members at the British Disc Golf Association might be interested.
The style of the show shares similarities with You Bet where we aim to display and celebrate people's unusual talents and skills. We are particularly looking for people who have the ability to demonstrate their skills under the remit of a 'challenge'.
We are looking for individuals or groups who are able to perform an incredible physical feat, who have a bonkers invention or have a really bizarre skill, for example, being able to distinguish different types of lawnmower by sound alone, or pouring a cup of tea with a JCB.
If you think that you could help I can send more information including a flyer which perhaps you could circulate to anyone who you think may be interested or maybe put up on your website or forum? It would be great if you could help us out in anyway. Please do not hestitate to contact me if you have any questions.
If anyone is interested they can email uniquetalent@bbc.co.uk for an application form and more information.
Many thanks for your time.
Yours sincerely,

Sarah Timbury
020 8576 8745
uniquetalent@bbc.co.uk

Would anyone be interested? I think to make it interesting for tv it would need to be something like DIsc Golf on Wii Sports Resort, - throw through this target in the air 50 meters away and then land it on a 10 meter circle 100 meters away, or something similar. it could be individual or a team effort (this might be slightlyless pressure on the individual!)

I have asked for a leaflet and more info.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Mark.A.D

Re: New BBC program

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Well I'll admit disc golf is different to the common sports but is it really in contention with something like pouring tea with a JCB? That said, it could certainly make for some interesting challenges
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:47 pm

You'd be amazed at how many people can't believe it when you throw an easy drive say 300-320' and get it within 15 feet of where you said you could. I did it for a newspaper reporter once and guys on my softball team once and they looked at me like I pulled a white dove out of my back pocket, waved my hands over it and made it's feathers turn blue.

Seriously, most if of not all people who haven't seen or heard of disc golf would be stunned with one of us throwing an 80 metre shot accurately.

There aren't a ton of people on this planet that could just go up to Del's shack, pick a disc and throw it more than 50 metres, let alone throw it that far accurately. I don't think there's any need for a hoop.

Good luck.

:D
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

Mark.A.D

Post by Mark.A.D » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Good point, throwing short accurate shots is something most players should be capable of and it can be seen as quite a skill for showing off, I say we go for it, go from basket to basket or long putt challenges obviously
Hyzer Cup Champions 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13
BDGA #357
PDGA #45315

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 am

Im in Hatton!!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

TheGroover

Post by TheGroover » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am

Mr.Scary wrote:You'd be amazed at how many people can't believe it when you throw an easy drive say 300-320' and get it within 15 feet of where you said you could.
.. wish I could do that :?
----------------
Keep up to date with Oxford's summer league...
Oxdisc blog: http://oxdisc.blogspot.com

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 am

Mampi Swift wrote:Im in Hatton!!
Glad I'm not able to do this. :wink: :roll:

Best regards
The Grammar Police
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

gommog

Post by gommog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:40 am

rhatton1 wrote:Hi all,

We are looking for individuals or groups who are able to perform an incredible physical feat, who have a bonkers invention or have a really bizarre skill, for example, being able to distinguish different types of lawnmower by sound alone, or pouring a cup of tea with a JCB.
I have asked for a leaflet and more info.
[Mod edit - Could we keep this forum a little cleaner that that please, this is one of the BDGA's public faces], gimme a look at that leaflet when you get it, i'd be only too happy to help :D
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am

gommog wrote:
[Mod edit - Could we keep this forum a little cleaner that that please, this is one of the BDGA's public faces], gimme a look at that leaflet when you get it, i'd be only too happy to help :D
genuinely? :D

And Jester don't pretend you haven't wanted to be in me before now.

I can;t post the flyer here, might do it to facebook and link to there instead.
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:53 am

Mr.Scary wrote:You'd be amazed at how many people can't believe it when you throw an easy drive say 300-320' and get it within 15 feet of where you said you could. I did it for a newspaper reporter once and guys on my softball team once and they looked at me like I pulled a white dove out of my back pocket, waved my hands over it and made it's feathers turn blue.

Seriously, most if of not all people who haven't seen or heard of disc golf would be stunned with one of us throwing an 80 metre shot accurately.

There aren't a ton of people on this planet that could just go up to Del's shack, pick a disc and throw it more than 50 metres, let alone throw it that far accurately. I don't think there's any need for a hoop.

Good luck.

Watch it on television though and you don't begin to get the same wow factor as in real life. At the British Open a couple of years ago they got Ville Piippo to throw a thumber for the local news, he launched it casually from hole 18 at QP beyond the nipple thats about 90 meters uphill. On camera it really didn't look very impressive, you don't get the same sense of perspective on a 2d screen as you do in real life.

Anyway for ideas of a team challenge, what about attempting the same result with three or four different shots, one player throws backhand, one thumber one sidearm etc. One it would show off what you are capable of doing with a disc and two you could make it into a tricky challenge. so an 85 meter shot to a target (or whatever distance Tweedy feels comfortable with tthrowing his Banshee thumber :wink:)
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com

gommog

Post by gommog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am

rhatton1 wrote:
gommog wrote:
genuinely? :D
Sorry i didn't think about that, but no not genuinely, i got to about 10 before the coins seperated then pinched down, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone :cry:
QP Hyzer Cup Champions 2010/2011
Eurasian and African kan jam champion 2014
Spanish Am Champion 2015

BDGA no.360
PDGA no. 46975

MampiSwift

Post by MampiSwift » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Firstly Jester ...... shut up fool!!!!

Secondly Rich , could swap the Banshee for the epic and then could pick any distance you want!!!
Quarry Park member.
BDGA number :354
PDGA number :45313
Hyzer cup 2009/10 champions
Hyzer cup 2010/11 champions
Hyzer cup 2011/12 champions
Hyzer cup 2012/2013 champions

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Mampi Swift wrote:Firstly Jester ...... shut up fool!!!!
I assume missing the two commas this time was entirely intentional and intended to be...ironic? :roll: :lol:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

Mr.Scary

Post by Mr.Scary » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 pm

rhatton1 wrote:
Mr.Scary wrote:You'd be amazed at how many people can't believe it when you throw an easy drive say 300-320' and get it within 15 feet of where you said you could. I did it for a newspaper reporter once and guys on my softball team once and they looked at me like I pulled a white dove out of my back pocket, waved my hands over it and made it's feathers turn blue.

Good luck.

Watch it on television though and you don't begin to get the same wow factor as in real life. At the British Open a couple of years ago they got Ville Piippo to throw a thumber for the local news, he launched it casually from hole 18 at QP beyond the nipple thats about 90 meters uphill. On camera it really didn't look very impressive, you don't get the same sense of perspective on a 2d screen as you do in real life.

Anyway for ideas of a team challenge, what about attempting the same result with three or four different shots, one player throws backhand, one thumber one sidearm etc. One it would show off what you are capable of doing with a disc and two you could make it into a tricky challenge. so an 85 meter shot to a target (or whatever distance Tweedy feels comfortable with tthrowing his Banshee thumber :wink:)

Okay, then do this:

Two guys on each end of a football pitch, each has 10 discs. They each get 10 throws at the other's goal, most goals wins.
We used to do this all the time and it was a great way to not waste time going and getting your drives since the other guy would and then just throw them back at you. It's also a great way to improve your accuracy and work on different shots(anhyzer and hyzer, etc.).
I think this is also why 300' shots used to be sooo easy for me. :D

After a while though you learn to throw further and we'd go to the American high school's football field and throw through or under the goal posts which are at the back of each 10 yard endzone(total 360').

:cheers:
"By far, the most important part of any shot is what is happening in the last split second as the disc is pulling itself from your grip. Focus there. It's the key."

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

West

Post by West » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 pm

I can't believe no one has suggested throwing a disc with a JCB! ;-)

Sounds good though, I'll watch! :-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011