Tee Pads at Croydon

Does what it says on the tin!
Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 pm

CharlieM wrote:In my experience spending £100+ on a pair of boots means your boots will be water proof and last until the soul is worn off.
Jeez, Charlie, you must be walking to Hell and back. :wink:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Well, in a past life I used to do a LOT of walking and hiking and generally being a blo0dy fool living out doors for a fortnight t a time.

Funny thing is, I recently made contact with an old friend and we talked about reviving the good old days. Might help me to get fit again for the first time in 15 years!

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:19 am

In amongst the £50 ones I've had some £150 Berghaus, they lasted about 2 years before holes appeared in the top, the buckles rusted and fell of etc.

For me, thats not a great investment!
www.discgolfuk.com
richard@discgolfuk.com
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

West

Post by West » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am

My Karimores (or however you spell it) where about ~£80 and that was 5 years ago. They've only just started to crack and thats probably due to me not looking after them properly. Once they go completely I will be going to get another pair :-)
"West"
PDGA: #8823
BDGA: #250
Twitter: @WestDiscGolf
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:32 am

Yep! High end Karrimors are pretty good. I think you'll be looking at over £100 for a good pair 5 years later though.

Serious thread drift from tee pads to shoes but while we are on the subject. DO NOT buy Peter Storm boots. They are millets own brand and I got some for Xmas a couple of years ago, they are less waterproof than onion soup despite having a little rubber label that says "waterproof" on them.

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:37 am

Full-grain leather rather synthetic/nubuck every time for me. Yup they are a little heavier, but they more than make up for that in support, warmth, durability and (if you look after them) the natural waterproofing of the leather will last as long as the boots do.

I had a pair of full-grain leather Scarpa Ranger boots for about 7 years. They cracked in the end because I neglected them. As they say in the Army, ‘Look after your gear, son, and your gear will look after you’. I replaced them with a pair of Meindls, the most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn (It’s either the Burma or Borneo version, I can’t remember, they are both very similar). At a cost of about £130 it was a lot for a pair of boots, but then I do use them all year round for more than guys golf.

Just seen Field and Trek have Borneos for £89.99 http://www.fieldandtrek.com/meindl-born ... src=google Whatever you go for don’t bother paying extra for a leather boot with Gore Tex. Look after the leather and the boot is waterproof anyway, the Gore Tex just adds to the weight and makes your feet sweat more.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

I would pay the extra and go for these http://www.walkoutdoors.com/product_info.php?prod=987 They look very well constructed and if Jesters lasted 7 years, that's pretty good!
Last edited by CharlieM on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:44 am

CharlieM wrote:I would pay the extra and go for these http://www.walkoutdoors.com/product_info.php?prod=987
Yeah, they are what I had for 7-odd years and they were good, but the Meindls I have now are the dogs.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 am

I wear New Balance outdoor trail shoes, as they feel more suited to the activity than walking shoes. Lighter than walking shoes and with a more aggressive tread.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 am

I must of been unlucky with my Meindls. They lasted me less than half a year and the sides came apart and they were about as waterproof as a tea-bag. :(
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

ultiali

Post by ultiali » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 am

CharlieM wrote:
Tapanote wrote:
ultiali wrote:Is concrete really a good idea given the British weather?
No, concrete really only works when it is warm and dry. Some courses in Finland had concrete but pretty much all are changing for the artificial grass pads. They are by far the best all-round tee solution and work in every weather.

Funny detail, I have seen hundreds if not thousands of disc golfers in Finland, and never before even heard of someone playing with studs. For me playing in studs would mean guaranteed ankle-knee-hip-back-you-name-it problems.
I'm no concrete expert but I would have though that is was more grippy when wet than mud?
Depends on the type of mud...... But the discussion was more about what we could replace grass/mud tees with and for me concrete tees in the British Climate would be a poor option.

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 am

Steve wrote:I must of been unlucky with my Meindls. They lasted me less than half a year and the sides came apart and they were about as waterproof as a tea-bag. :(
Jings! Hope you took them back, no boot free of manufactuing errors should do that.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

CharlieM

Post by CharlieM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 am

ultiali wrote:
CharlieM wrote:
Tapanote wrote: No, concrete really only works when it is warm and dry. Some courses in Finland had concrete but pretty much all are changing for the artificial grass pads. They are by far the best all-round tee solution and work in every weather.

Funny detail, I have seen hundreds if not thousands of disc golfers in Finland, and never before even heard of someone playing with studs. For me playing in studs would mean guaranteed ankle-knee-hip-back-you-name-it problems.
I'm no concrete expert but I would have though that is was more grippy when wet than mud?
Depends on the type of mud...... But the discussion was more about what we could replace grass/mud tees with and for me concrete tees in the British Climate would be a poor option.
Not perfect for sure but what else could be use that is theft/vandal proof? <-- attempting to bring thread back to teepads

Village

Post by Village » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 am

just to add frther to the topic divergence (sp?), I've been wearing a pair of Karimor Orkney leather boots for the last 3 years and they are both comfortable and waterproof, and what's more, you can get a pair from feild and trek for 30 squids where the rrp is a ton! :o

even Hatton can afford to buy these.....!

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-or ... src=google
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Village wrote:just to add frther to the topic divergence (sp?), I've been wearing a pair of Karimor Orkney leather boots for the last 3 years and they are both comfortable and waterproof, and what's more, you can get a pair from feild and trek for 30 squids where the rrp is a ton! :o

even Hatton can afford to buy these.....!

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-or ... src=google
Good spot buddy! :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

BOF

Post by BOF » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm

As the highest ranking BDGA player that regularly wears wellies, I can vouch for wellies!
£10 a pair for standard Dunlop mould.
You only wear them for 2-3 hours at a time when playing disc golf, you can confidently walk without worrying what you're about to stand in (!).
Retrieving discs from streams and ponds is no problem either.
Going through the gates at Burnlaw poses no obstacle - hole 5 in particluar springs to mind...
In the wet, it's wellies every time for me!
In the dry a nice pair of Salomon walking boots, lightweight and breathable, does me just fine.

BOF

Big Wellies
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

West

Post by West » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for your comment BOF :)

Personally, I've played a Frostbreaker in wellies a few years ago when it was cold and wet (not the snow we've had past couple of yrs) and found them really uncomfortable. During play my feet where cold but also didn't give the support I like and get from my walking boots. I ended the weekend with big blisters and general discomfort.

But as we've seen from previous comments, not everything works for everyone :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011

Village

Post by Village » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 pm

what ya wearing (on your feet) tomoz?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

West

Post by West » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Village wrote:what ya wearing (on your feet) tomoz?
Walking boots, but I'm not playing, my shoulder is proper screwed after putting out all the rope. It was a bit damp, but nothing too bad, boots and gators will be fine :)
"West"
BDGA DoC 2007 - 2011