Membership fees for 2018/19 season

TomLowes

Membership fees for 2018/19 season

Post by TomLowes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am

We have a proposal to the way membership fees work for the 2018/19 season. This is presented below (Option 2) and we'd like your opinion about it, so we're going to have a poll to see whether it would be preferred to our current system (Option 1). The new system is quite different to what we’ve used before but has the following advantages for us in administering the Tour:
    There is no confusion over who is or isn’t a Touring member; everyone who plays on the Tour will automatically be Touring members. This simplifies the business of who qualifies for British Championships etc.
      It simplifies the accounting for Tournament Directors and the Treasurer - no longer will they have to charge different prices for Touring members and non-members. For the Treasurer, a simple invoice can be issued for each tournament.
        People who play more events will pay more overall; this could be seen as an advantage or a disadvantage!

Option 1;

Membership remains the same as 2017/8 season: Touring Membership £10 per player.

Associate Membership free.

(Currently TDs pay £10 per day to sanction events and £1 per non member per day)

Option 2;

By playing at a BDGA event you will automatically become a BDGA Touring member for the season. The BDGA will charge TDs £2 per player per event.

For those that do not wish to play BDGA events but wish to become (full) Touring members, it will be available for a minimum donation of £2.

Associate Membership remains free.

POLL

The Board consider the new system (Option 2) to be an improvement but we don't want to force the change unless people are generally happy with it. Please let us know by voting in the poll below:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JMBGV2J

Voting will close at 2359 on Monday 27th August.
        Tom
        ND

PaulStoddart

Re: Membership fees for 2018/19 season

Post by PaulStoddart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am

I have a couple of questions before I vote. What do you consider a BDGA event and how does this apply to The MODS, The Down South Series, The Quaich Tour, The Nationals Matchplay, The British Open, The British Championships and possibly UK held Euro Tour events? Does the £2 player fee apply to both one and two day events? Will new Full Touring members still need to register (before an event) to get a BDGA member number. Will we still need an associate membership if Option 2 is voted in?
        Cheers
        Me

rhatton1

Post by rhatton1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 am

Can we allocate 66 million BDGA numbers, or hell even 7 billion? Everyone's a member and only pay when they use the service, numbers should help us with sport England recognition ;)

I'm in, option 2, makes budgeting much easier, makes life much easier in general, seems fair you pay for what you use and there is no barrier to entry.

With more events and more players income rises and people don't even know they've been charged.

Good change.
        www.discgolfuk.com
        richard@discgolfuk.com
        Home of the Midlands One Day Series
        Talk to us about courses!

TomLowes

Post by TomLowes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks, Rich.

Paul, to answer your Qs:

We will still use the existing system for what is or isn't a BDGA event: the TD decides (and hopefully makes it clear in their marketing). Any event can be a BDGA event and that could be all, some or none of a series such as MODS etc.

We had decided to try and keep things simple and make it a flat £2 per player, no matter what length of event.

We hope to manage new member registrations through their tournament entry so a separate membership registration isn't necessary - i.e. by signing up to the tournament and providing some basic details (name, email address), we process their membership automatically.

Associate membership can still exist for those who aren't playing tournament events but want to be kept in the loop.
        Tom
        ND

mattplace

Post by mattplace » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi.

I like the proposed change to pricing.

However there is a possible wrinkle. The automatic BDGA registration requires TDs sharing competitors' personal data with the BDGA. Someone, with a better understanding of GDPR than I have, should provide a solution to the potential issues. What if I don't want to share my personal info with the BDGA? Let's say I just want to play a tournament at my local course and I have no interest in playing other BDGA events, I'mhappy to contribute towards the insurance cover but don't want to have my data shared. The same case may apply to international travelers visiting the U.K. that just happen to play the one tournament here. How is the data sharing explained at registration? I believe it requires explicit consent. How would the option to not share personal data be implemented?

TomLowes

Post by TomLowes » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:31 pm

That's a very good point. Although as the event would be a BDGA event I don't know whether it counts as 'sharing' the information. However, alongside the fact that we're asking for minimal information, and have a good reason for asking for it, the Secretary will be following up to all new members with an email confirming their membership and drawing their attention to our privacy policy: at that stage a player can opt out.
        Tom
        ND

PaulStoddart

Post by PaulStoddart » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello Tom, may I ask what the results of the poll were?
        Ta

TomLowes

Post by TomLowes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 am

25:2 in favour of the change.
        Tom
        ND